Logo

1970's mercury 7.5 no spark issue

darrell87

I have what im told is a 1970,s model mercury 7.5 hp, the serial number is 3283567 though i cant find the engine by that number? Can anyone on here tell me the ohm specs for the ignition system on this engine? It is a points ignition system

There were two: The (good one) with a Phelon magneto, and the (horrible) one with a Phase Maker. The latter has external ignition coils on the back of the block.

Pray yours isn't one of them.

Jeff

This one has primary coils under the fly wheel and secondary coils on the block at the back of the engine..after doing some digging i found two terrible wires which i replaced, i now have fire, the carb is clean and everything looks in order, but it still wont run..the closest i get is a tiny cough now and then, its also putting raw fuel out of the exaust...any ideas?

Yipee! That's the 'good' one.

Sounds like the thing is flooded and your carb might be dripping a bit to make matters worse. I suggest you try some starting ether. Don't go nuts with the stuff--just a squirt or two to get her over being stubborn. And keep cleaning the plugs with Cut Finder (AKA lacquer thinner).

Jeff

Back