Logo

1970 Stinger outdrive

robm3308

Hi everybody! I have a 1970 Glasspar trihaul with a OMC set up. My model number is HUFM-19E My grandfather bought this boat new in 1970 and ive had it about 2 years now runs like a top no problems just minor cosmetics 40 year old boat its gonna have some wrinkles ya know? Anyway my question is this..... I have a hard time planing off on the water seems to take forever to drop the nose on the boat so i have been looking into Hydrofoils lately. hopefully this will increase my hole shot and maybe even save a litlle fuel dose anybody here have any suggestions on this? anybody ever try this? My only concern would be the trim under the calvatation plate. I have been looking at a specific hydrofoil the web site is www.sesport.com its the se300 im looking at does anyone know of a better one out there? I must say im kinda scared to drill through the cavatation plate and it seems as though it will come very close to going in to the trim tab underneath so if anyone has a better optionor advise Im all ears. Thanks for any help, Rob

Ps......... I have some pics of this outdrive if anybody wants to see them I can email them but dont know how to add them here thanks again, Rob

did it ever get on plane faster? or has this been getting worse?

HUFM-19E = 155HP V6 "Buick"

smart tabs would be a better option than a hydrofoil.

smart tabs wont slow you down at top speed like a hydrofoil will

smart tabs also don't stress the drive's 40 year old aluminum casting

do you have select trim on that boat in other words does your motor raise and lower you will know by the dash switch or by looking at motor on the left side will be a hydraulic pump there is a sweet spot that you will find by raiseing your motor up or down you will tell the diffrence because when you find it the boat will haul ass took me 2 or 3 times to find it

Only question I would have is did the boat get heavier in the last 40 years? Water logged or something like that in the hull.

Thank you for the information. And I can understand how well they work, except when going astern.

Bruce.

PS. But who goes astern if they can get out of it?

Back