Logo

1970 Johnson 60 hp Hydro Electric Drive

TroyHanson

I have picked this motor up recently. It came with controls. After finally getting everything reconnected the way I believe it should go. I was able to get the dash light to come on when turning on the key. Then the choke switch activated the chokes. I was able to supply power to the green wire to get it into neutral or to the blue wire and got reverse. However I have not been able to get spark while Starter is going through it’s cycle, but... At the end of each starter cycle there is usually a random 3 sparks out of the plug. I have so far been told that somehow it may be back feeding because of a bad ground. Any help or wiring diagrams for this specific set up would be appreciated. I have found plenty of diagrams just not this exact setup. Thx

Some will argue.------These are the simple steps I would take.------Take starter apart for inspection.---Make sure the battery is of ample capacity.------Load test the battery even if new.-----Remove flywheel to clean / set breaker points at 0.010"-----Inspect anti-reversing spring.----Clean rotor and distributor cap.-----The battery and starter are the real suspects here !!!

Back