Logo

1970 Evinrude 9.5 isn't getting fuel

hippovet

I just got a 1970 Evinrude 9.5 hp. It was running when I bought it but not well. I put in new points and condensers and rebuilt the carb. I put in a new float, float needle and housing, new gaskets, blew everything out with carb cleaner, etc. Now it won't start. If I pour a little fuel in the carb, it runs for a second. Sounds sweet but won't keep running. I pulled the plugs and they're dry - no fuel. Any ideas? The previous owner put in a new fuel pump. Thanks

you could bypass the fp. hang a gas tank above the motor, and attach the hose directly to the carb. if it starts and runs its the fp. did the po rebuild or replace the fp?
or did the float get set too high? and not allowing fuel into the carb?

Did you take a very good look at the ignition coils ?--------Most of those motor usually need 2 new coils due to cracking of the plastic.--------Often see them with 2 new coils or needing 2 new coils still.----Will spark jump an actual gap of 1/4" or more.

Have you checked the fuel line and the pump bulb to insure its not cracked and letting air in the line? Start simple and work your way up.

Thanks, guys. I'll work my way up from the fuel tank. Actually, the fuel line and pump bulb are in good shape. The fuel pump is supposedly new and looks new but that doesn't mean that it is working right. The coils look great and there appears to be plenty of spark. I really don't think it is an electrical problem. One thing I thought of is that I simply don't have the low speed needle open enough - only 3/4 turns. I'll try opening it further tonight and see what happens. The float was level when holding the top half of the carb upside down. When I rebuilt the carb, I didn't remove the two plugs on the side of the upper half. Should I? Is there anything behind them that might need to be cleaned or replaced? How carbs work is a bit of a mystery to me.

Make sure that you have fuel to the carburetor.... disconnect the hose at the craburetor,and pump the fuel primer bulb to check.

(Carburetor Adjustment - Single S/S Adjustable Needle Valve)
(J. Reeves)

Initial setting is: Slow speed = seat gently, then open 1-1/2 turns.

Start engine and set the rpms to where it just stays running. In segments of 1/8 turns, start to turn the S/S needle valve in. Wait a few seconds for the engine to respond. As you turn the valve in, the rpms will increase. Lower the rpms again to where the engine will just stay running.

Eventually you'll hit the point where the engine wants to die out or it will spit back (sounds like a mild backfire). At that point, back out the valve 1/4 turn. Within that 1/4 turn, you'll find the smoothest slow speed setting.

With fuel being supplied to the carburetor and using the above setting... if the engine still doesn't run, you've overlooked something within the carburetor.

Ok, I got it to start. I took the carb apart for the umpteenth time and, as suggested in another thread on this forum, the hole by the drain plug was clogged. Hence, no fuel delivered to the rest of the carburetor. However, it is not running like I hoped. It seems to miss and dies. Actually, running very rough, basically like it was when I bought it (cheap). I tuned it up, rebuilt the carb and put new spark plugs in it, hoping all that would get it running right, but it hasn't. What should I look at next?

Sounds like you are happy with the carburetion / fuel part.------------Need to check the other 3 things this motor needs to run properly.------Check compression, check for crankcase compression and check for strong spark at the right time.

Back