Logo

1970 Evinrude 18hp fastwin won’t start

Eevinrude

Hi all, I was given this motor from a relative of my wife. Said they used it once or twice a year for the past 4 years. Ran it once last year. Pretty sure they didn’t winterize it, so old gas sat in it.

I’ve rebuilt the carb, new plugs (j4c champions), new head gasket. Fuel pump pumps strong, pump screen is clean, there is gas all the way into the float bowl of the carb, compression is at 110psi(top cylinder) 106psi(bottom cylinder), when the cylinder head was off I tested the spark plugs with the head grounded to the block and had spark from both plugs, even pulled each plug and tested them individually and each had spark. Plugs are gapped to 0.030. Has electric start.

Can’t get this thing started. If I hold the starter down and feather the throttle plate on the carb it’ll turn over and run for a few seconds and then backfire die. Can only do this once or twice then it won’t even do that. When I rebuilt the carb I didn’t bother with taking out the metal plugs because it really didn’t look that dirty. I sprayed carb cleaner into the low idle hole and cleaner came gushing out the three small holes at the top of the main carb body.

What else can I try? I’m getting compression, gas and spark. Really stumped here.

EDIT: Model 18002E

Last edited:
Answer this question.-----Does spark jump a gap of 5/16" in open air on a test device , yes , no or not sure why that is important ?------Laying the plugs on the block has fooled many into thinking that they have spark !!

No I have not tried that. If it turns out they don’t jump that gap, what does that point to?

What kind of test device do I use? Just something I rig up and hold it off the block?

The simple magneto on your motor is easily maintained.------Time to view some videos on YOU TUBE on this item.-----Some presenters are very knowledgeable.

The simple magneto on your motor is easily maintained.------Time to view some videos on YOU TUBE on this item.-----Some presenters are very knowledgeable.
Thank you for pointing me in the right direction. The points were dirty and the timing was definitely off. You were right, some very informative instructionals on that platform.

Back