Logo

1970 60hp Johnson stuck in forward

Swendsoa

Hi everyone,
I am a first timer here. I bought a boat and it ran great all last year. This year I cleaned the carbs and when I took it out to adjust it I managed to get it running smoothly. I stopped to do a little fishing and when I tried to start it the battery was to dead to start it. It was suddenly stuck in forward as well. I got towed back to the house and have started to go through the other posts and check what could be the problem. I just changed the lower unit oil with the premium blend suggested and hooked up muffs. I started the engine found the green and blue wires and checke them for voltage and got nothing which is consistent with the forward gear setting. With the engine still running I put it in reverse and get the same. I then disconnected the green and blue wires and taking an extra battery ran a jumper wire to the green wire. I started the engine again and it was still in forward gear. I then ran the jumper to both and once again I was still stuck in forward. I tried to read ohms with my multimeter but it just read overload. I believe this to mean my solenoids are bad.

What should my next step be? Any help would be greatly appriciated.

You are contradicting yourself. First you said you have no voltage at the blue and green wires. That would account for it being in forward.

But then you said you jumped 12V directly to the blue and green wires, and still no shift out of forward.

If both of the above are true, you have TWO faults one being no voltage from the shift switch, and also a problem within the lower unit. I suppose that is possible but it is unlikely that you would be so lucky as to have both faults appear at the same time.

I suggest you repeat your tests.

Hi. I have the 60ESL71C Had same problem. Changed oil did tests etc got nothing...... wondered if i was doing it correctly?....... Searched threads got lots of helpful info etc. Decided to take gear case off and reseal as i was getting milky fluid and behold!!!!.......some donkey had connected wires to solenoids with standard non waterproof butt connectors which corroded straight thru in probably less than 5 minutes giving exactly the result your getting...... If you can't see any breaks and are getting no reading i would be willing to bet you got a broken wire.

Back