Logo

1970 33 hp clutch dog

This is a motor I sold to a buddy a few months ago, there were no issues at the time. He calls me yesterday describing this problem of slipping out of gear at around 3/4 throttle or so. I replaced the impeller several months prior to selling and had the boat out almost every weekend, I'm confident the shift rod linkage was hooked up correctly. As for the prop, I was under the impression these old non-splned props were a solid unit with no bushing. After looking at new replacements I see that they have a bushing. Would the original OMC have had it? I have not yet gotten the motor back in my hands but as soon as I do I will check these things first. Just trying to get some info to prepare for worst case scenario. I still have the factory manual for it but am a little intimidated about doing a first time job on someone else's motor. Hopefully it's something simpler. Clutch dog is half the price of new prop but a lot more in depth... go figure.

Sorry I wasn't perfectly clear. My dog left this fight months ago when I sold the boat. My friend is well aware that he is fully responsible for this repair. I'm just trying to help him out is all. Will try the prop test if it ever stops raining. Or maybe I'll explain how to do it and let HIM get wet.

Back