Logo

1969 Merc 1000 TOP serial: 2685637

Jaybey

Contributing Member
Evening everyone..

Just installed a new rectifier tonight as well as replaced the 2 lead wires connecting it to the two yellow stator leads (they were falling apart, hence the new unmelted rectifier), and noticed the connections on my switch box were looking pretty grimy. So I cleaned the switch box terminals on the starter side of the engine and re fastened the lines. Much better. I then went to clean the distributor side connections ( in for a penny) and stumbled onto this doo-dad with 2 wires. One to the switchbox and one to ground. The switchbox line has disintegrated in my hands. My phone won't let me upload pics unfortunately. It's black and plastic with both lines coming out the same end and aside from the flat bottom it's round. It's about an inch and a half to two inches long with one mounting screw hole molded into it. The part number on it is 33384.

I believe it's either a capacitor or a voltage regulator, though I can't find it in my parts catalogue.. and my parts engine doesn't have one. Nor does it look like it ever did... I've read of regulators on these engines robbing power, and I've been plagued with rpm's that won't go above 4k on a 16ft fiberglass crestliner with a17p prop.

So my questions are this: What is it? Can I run without it? And if I can't, where can I get one?

Thanks guys

Tilt kill switch..?

This motor doesn't have PTT, not yet anyway. I plan on putting it on from the other engine soon.

It was mounted at the front of the engine on the cover plate that houses the switch box, rectifier and that somewhat covers the carbs

20190723_200056.jpginstalled.jpgThere haha... got them uploaded

ok, so with some research it looks like it might be the distributor switch. This can't be good lol.

Hoping these pics will help someone positively identify it

Mercury filled tilt kill switch...yes you can run without it for testing.

My apologies good sir..

Hard to find info on this guy, but after some way-too-late research overnight I now know exactly what you're talking about. It's a mercury-filled kill switch that is activated when the motor is in the "up" position and will then stop you from starting with the foot out of the water.

Wow.. they thought of everything in the old days. Thanks again. I will likely "mindfully" run without it for now until I can source another one out. They do seem hard to find.

Thanks, I've since discarded it as well..

One more question for you, I'm reading about 16.5 volts warm on the battery at idle with the new rectifier installed. Is that about right? It seems high to me, but what do I know haha

My auld '69 Merc800 throws out 16.5v WOT,so I switch on all the electrics,lights,radio,etc.pulls it back a bit.
As that is an unregulated charging system,be sure to use the right battery,wet one.
I just noticed you said at idle,that is a bit high

Back