Logo

1969 Johnson 4hp fuel pump diagnosis

grimesinma

"Hi all,
Yesterday I got my S

"Hi all,
Yesterday I got my Seloc maintenance manual (I have a 1969 Johnson 4 hp model 4W69B). I have determined that:
1. The compression is good (whew!)
2. It is getting spark

Now, I was using the procedure for diagnosing fuel problems in the manual. First I connected the fuel tank/line to the motor and disconnected the line going to the carb. Using the bulb I can get fuel to squirt out of the fuel line (input to carb). When I crank the motor by hand, no more fuel comes out. According to the manual, a good stream of fuel should come out when hand cranked. Does this mean that my fuel pump is bad? Did I use the right troubleshooting procedure?

Now, I took the fuel pump off. Behind it is an orifice which looks as if it goes into the crankcase. I assume that pressure pulses from the crankcase operate a diaphragm in the fuel pump. I took the fuel pump apart and the diaphragm does not appear to be torn. The Seloc manual states that this is a non-rebuildable-type pump. I've gone to a couple of online part stores and there is a kit that looks like it is for the pump on my motor (18-7823). The problem is that my year motor is not listed in any of the application charts. Does anyone have a parts catalog that can look up the OEM part number for the fuel pump for my motor? Even though the application charts do not have my year listed, the fuel pump OEM part number 0397839 (replacement RL7350) looks just like it.

Thanks for the help,
Monty"

Back