Logo

1969 Evinrude

Wrigley

:( I have a 1969 4hp Evinrude in great shape (N.O.S) however over the weekend the pull starter rope broke any idea's on how I can repair the recoil & install a new rope? It really looks easy but I don't want to take it apart & see the recoil spring come apart!

Last edited:
(Manual Starter Cord/Spring Installation)
(This pertains to the side mount type manual starters such as the 4hp models)
(J. Reeves)
Have the rope/cord wound around the starter pulley in the proper direction and tuck the end of the cord under itself to lock it in place.
Assemble the manual starter to the engine, having the inner sping loop inserted over the related pin, BUT leave the starter spring UNWOUND and simply hanging thru the slot of the manual starter housing with the long length of the spring out side of the manual starter.

Now, using your ingenuity, rig some kind of device to force that plastic gear up into the flywheel teeth, jamming it so that it will stay engaged in those teeth.

It is now simply a matter of putting a wrench on the flywheel nut and turning it in the proper direction to pull that spring into the manual starter housing which will properly rewind it. After the spring has been pulled in completely, continue to crank it further until sufficent pressure is upon the spring. Usually three turns of the flywheel is enough.

Now, keep a firm grip on that small plastic gear so that the starter does not rewind. Using a sharp pointed scribe, pick the loose end of the starter cord free and run it out its proper exit, then attach the handle to it. That should do it.
Thousands of parts in my remaining stock. Not able to list them all. Let me know what you need and I'll look it up for you. Visit my eBay auction at:
http://shop.ebay.com/Joe_OMC32/m.html?_dmd=1&_ipg=50&_sop=12&_rdc=1

Back