Logo

1969 33hp wiring issue

mazdog

I am trying to figure out how to turn the engine off when I turn the key to the off position.

I know I am missing a wire, but cannot figure out where it goes on the engine

There should be 2 black wires.----They are connected together to stop the motor.------And 12 volts is not used to make spark on this motor.

I'm sure through the years and many owners things have changed on this motor.
I tried posting a pic but I'm not sure if it is being seen by you

2 black wires come down from under the magneto plate. One goes to the key switch. The other one goes to the center terminal on the vacuum cut-out switch. Then another black wire also goes to that center terminal and on to the key switch. Key switch generally has 2 "M" terminals for those 2 black wires.

Your picture won't post if it is too big.

2 black wires come down from under the magneto plate. One goes to the key switch. The other one goes to the center terminal on the vacuum cut-out switch. Then another black wire also goes to that center terminal and on to the key switch. Key switch generally has 2 "M" terminals for those 2 black wires.

Your picture won't post if it is too big.
Thank you for the pic explanation. Nit sure how to get them any smaller.

I see the one black wire that goes to the center of the cut off switch , I do not see the other black wire coming down so that I can hook it to my key switch.

Man I wish you could see the pics

Hi. Just edit size to under 1000k. If "I" can do it, certainly you can. Me? I can't even drive the car and "text" at the same time....while taking driving lessons from my wife. Ha!

There should be 2 black wires.----They are connected together to stop the motor.------And 12 volts is not used to make spark on this motor.
Ok I found these two black wires and if the motor is running and I unplug the connector the motor doesn't quit.
Do I need to ground the wire out to shut the motor off?

Two black wires marked.jpg

The 2 black wires when connected together shut the motor OFF.-----The proper key switch would have 2 terminals marked with an ----M----for magneto.-----And 12 volts is only used to turn the starter motor.-----The magneto makes spark and does not need 12 volts to it.

Great job my friend. We will keep this beauty running for decades to come. The two black wires don't need to go to ground to kill. Why? When one point is open, the other is always closed.... therefore providing a handy ground. Stupid engineering? NO WAY! BRILLIANT!

Back