Logo

1968 Johnson 55hp wiring diagram

Bryce

Looking for a wireing diagram for a 68 Johnson 55hp went to start it up and notice the wiring harness is beyond gone to the point I don't think Its worth trying to save you touch the wires and they pretty much turn to powder and I looked everywhere for a new or used one but no luck if anyone out there can help me I would greatly appreciate it thanks!.

Check with cdielectronics.com. I think at one time they were making up wiring harnesses.

Last edited:
CDI #413-9901 is the internal wiring harness, if that is what you are needing. Get it here at marineengine. Can't help you with the external harness. But here is the diagram if you want to make your own.

Attachments

• Wiring 1968 55hp fr.jpg
    Wiring 1968 55hp fr.jpg
    68.5 KB · Views: 687
Looking for a wireing diagram for a 68 Johnson 55hp.... The wiring harness is beyond gone to the point I don't think Its worth trying to save you touch the wires and they pretty much turn to powder.

That was the year that OMC momentarily used a different wire supplier... big mistake obviously. It wasn't long before all the engines started to shed their wiring insulation... really a first class mess. Fortunately they realized their error and corrected it for the following year.

There were times I had no choice but to lay the harness out on a piece of plywood, hammer in finishing nails to contain the harness shape, curves, etc, then one wire at a time, replace it with the same color and factory terminal ends, giving it a electrical taping to return it to a factory look alike. Time consuming and expensive.

Back