Logo

1968 95 evinrude problem

bucket

"Hi all, I'm new to the ou

"Hi all, I'm new to the outboard scene, so forgive me if this seems elementary.

I recently bought a used 1968 9.5hp Evinrude. I replaced the plugs, cleaned the fuel pump, replaced the fuel line and bulb and cleaned the screan on the pick-up line in the tank. My problem is that it doesn't want to run at wide open. If falls on it's face after only a few seconds. I've only had it out twice and the first time it would wind up and run fine for 15-30 seconds and then fall back to what seems to be about half throttle. Now it doesn't want to wind out at all and goes from half throttle to idle. If I run it at half throttle, it runs great. I noticed that the bulb does not stay firm when running, and the motor seems to run better if I keep pumping the bulb.

I'm assuming that this is a fuel delivery problem, but I don't know where to start looking. Any suggestions?

Thanks."

"The fuel primer bulb not stay

"The fuel primer bulb not staying hard is normal.

Look for air/fuel leaks between the fuel pump and the fuel supply..... pump would draw air.

Having the engine run better when you pump the fuel primer bulb (acting as a manual fuel pump) indicates that the fuel pump is not functioning properly.

If you have compression and spark on both cylinders and the fuel pump is working normally, suspect a fouled carburetor."

"I'm assuming that if it l

"I'm assuming that if it leaks air, it would also leak fuel?

Maybe I'll pull the carb this weekend and give it a good cleaning."

Check that you have spark at e

Check that you have spark at each plug that will jump a gap of 1/4" or better. These motors are famous for defective ignition coils.You may be running on only one cylinder.

Try the motor with the cover r

Try the motor with the cover removed...I have seen several of these motors that leak exhaust under the cover and they will actually be sucking in enough exhaust to cause a problem at high speed

"Thanks, for the tips. I got a

"Thanks, for the tips. I got a chance to look at it over the weekend and it doesn't seem to be leaking fuel. I'll give the cover thing a try, but I'm leaning towards the fuel pump. The fact that it runs better when I pump the bulb is a sticker for me."

Back