Logo

1968 6HP Johnson driveshaft pin - help needed!

Swell

I have found something very unusual with my recently purchased 1968 6hp Johnson (CDL-25c). There's no pin and no hole to take a pin near the top of the driveshaft, the one which compresses the various components of the crankcase seal. This means it's been running with little or no seal. Could it be that someone's fitted a driveshaft from an older model? I understand that they used to have a different setup and the slotted ledge / pin assembly was only added after a certain year.

I'm keen to rectify this and aim to drill a hole and fit a stainless roll pin, but I need to know where the pin needs to be located relative to the driveshaft - and also approximately what diameter of hole is needed? I've done some working out from the drawings on the BRP website and from the service manual, but not sure if these are to scale and they also look to be from an offset angle. However I've worked out the distance between the impeller pin and the top pin to be about 371 mm. This might be close enough, but an actual measurement is what's really needed! If anyone can help me with this it would be very much appreciated!

Many thanks,

Roger (I'm new here by the way!)

Last edited:
There's no pin and no hole to take a pin near the top of the driveshaft, the one which compresses the various components of the crankcase seal
I have seen your post on another forum too ..... traitor!

I would not rely on scaling off the parts diagrams.

Fair comment! I'm not sure how critical the position is thinking about it, as the pin is only compressing a spring which then holds everything in place, so a mm or 2 either way shouldn't make much difference. Or am I wrong in this?!

Fitted the driveshaft pin (2.4mm stainless roll pin into a 2.5mm hole, 19mm long) 60mm from the end of the driveshaft. Went into the crankcase ok so have to assume it's doing what it should be doing.

Will try engine on the water tomorrow - can't wait!

Thanks for all the help.

Roger

Back