Logo

1968 65hp Johnson Ignition Problems - Should I fix it

lazydaze

I have a 1968 65hp Johnson Outboard motor. It sat for about 8 years since I last used it but I am now trying to see if I can get it running. It is as old as me so some nostalgia there.

Starter works, engine turns over, seems to be getting gas, compression on the four cylinders 90, 88, 90, 92. Not getting any spark on any cylinder while holding spark plug to head bolts. I have power to the amplifier but found the wires to the Amplifier dry rotted so spliced in wire but had to go all the way to the base of the amplifier to get any halfway decent wire. Even then it was corroded and weak. In trying to test the amplifier I followed another forum topic saying to disconnect the coil wire from distributor and essentially do the same test as spark plug but using the coil wire. The coil wire is supposed to unscrew from the distributor cap but somebody must have rigged it up at some point because each wire has some kind of adhesive where it connects to the distributor cap and the wire ended up breaking off. Anyway I didn't see any spark at all when doing the spark plug test with the coil wire. Even tried coil wire directly to motor to see if I could see an arc but nothing. I did feel a shock one time right when the starter stopped. Not sure what that means.

So where do I go from here. Is the engine worth fixing at this point? Checking prices at marineengine.com if the amplifier is bad that is $280.00 but now comes with the coil to in the after market. If it is something else or more there is the distributor cap at $160.00, Points 65.00 each, Stator $220.00, wires $50.00 and so on. I like working on the engine but is it to far gone at this point? It is 46 years old...

I sincerely appreciate any help or advice I can get.

Thanks
Kris

Go through all the wiring complete first off. Sand all grounds metal to metal, clean all connectors with electrical cleaner. Is the timing belt spinning the rotor? Clean and gap the points be sure and use rubbing alcohol to clean the feeler guage also a little skin oil is not good.
http://maxrules.com/graphics/omc/wiring/1969-OMC-55-Wiring.jpg
Does this look like your wiring. Get a can of seafoam spray and spray it in the carbs and cylinders as you crank on the engine and try and get as much lube in there as possible before the initial fire off just in case, the bearings and seals are probably pretty dry sitting that long. I wouldnt condemn that old jem just yet see if you can get spark with what you have first. The compression is a little low but acceptable if you get it running the numbers should come up?

Sounds good I'll give it a shot. Kind feels bad to give up.

Should you fix it? The engine in running condition is worth about $300, however if you have money to spare and there's some sentimental aspect linked to it... that's a judgement call you need to make.

Back