Logo

1967 Mercury 9.8 hp

tmise

Guy is selling a 1967 Mercury 9.8 hp which runs great. Says its never been in salt water and only has approximately 70-100 hours run time. He is asking $500 for it. Could I get your opinions on this particular motor, reviews, etc...Is it worth $500? I've heard they were pretty good engines, just looking for some input on them before I fork out that kind of money for a 46 year old engine. Plan on using it as a trolling motor on 22' fiberglass deep v center console.

$250 more like it if it compression tests and runs A1. That 9.8 is ok. Some love it. Not my favourite outboard. If a little nib of rubber comes off the impeller (which is designed with dumb little nibs), it will hang around in the water jacket and haunt you with intermittent cooling problems for years.
The thing I like about the 9.8 is the power - always seemed more like 12 or 13 hp to me.

Keep shopping - if committed to Merc, there are lots of 9.8 Mercs out there - it was made until the mid 80's. Some early years were known as the "110"
A 1967 motor may have low hours, but lower unit seals and wiring insulation under the flywheel is 45 years old and all those soft parts rot with age.

I'd look for a Evinrude or Johnson 9.9 or 15HP (same motor and weight as the 9.9) from the 80's or 90's. I think a 15 would make a better kicker on a 22' boat.

Last edited:
Thanks for your input! The guy did mention that the pee hole would clog up here and there, he uses a pipe cleaner to clear it and its fine. Said the only time its ever been "opened" was to change the impeller last year. Kind of undecided right now. Do know I probably shouldn't go any less than 9.8hp. I have a 7.5hp Mercury in the garage not running. It's a 1971 I got for $200. Was going to fix it up but don't want to invest much money into it and I believe that it probably is weak on horsepower for my boat. Basically looking for something in case the 225hp Evinrude which is a 1988? goes kaput to get us back to the marina. Also want something I can use for trolling which will be doing most of the time. Place we go is Lake Jocassee in S.C. best way to fish there is downrigging for good sized rainbow and brown trout. Plan on getting a Minn Kota ipilot bow mount also just think a kicker would be the way to go for trolling like that. That ipilot would be good for holding onto structure like humps etc...

If properly maintained through the years, this motor should give another 50 years of service. Yes, like any motor if not properly maintained and stored, problems will be prevalent. Check for long or short shaft as either were offered in this model. You will also need a separate fuel tank with a minimum 50-1 oil mix. Use good oil. Price is a bit steep but make an offer. You never know. This is not exactly boating season. Consider a new 10 hp is well over $2k.

Not a bad motor if you can do ALL the work yourself.---------For example if it needed new seals on the crankshaft.--If done at home you just need to open up the block to do this plus parts.------At a shop that would cost almost as much as what the asking price of the motor is.

One other thing. If the seller says "I see them selling for that price all the time." Actually your seeing them posted at that price and their not selling. The ones that were posted for less are sold!

Yeah seems like a lot to me also for motor that old, low hours or not. It does start up and run good, just had a tune up done, etc...I figure for that price I could probably get something 20 years younger with maybe electronic ignition instead of points. He won't come down on the price either. Just trying to find something before March or so when I take the boat to the lake. Leery of buying something on ebay as usually everything on there is too far away so am looking locally on Craigslist but not much out there.

Picked up an 1982--- 9.8 HP and an 82 --7.5 HP ( same basic motor ) they may run as they are but I will be tearing them down before attempting to start them.-----------$ 25.00 each and I would rather do that than spend money on a " good runner " only to find out it needs to be torn down as well.

Thanks for all your help! I decided to pass on that outboard. Going to continue messing with the 7.5 Merc I have in the garage. If I can't get that then there might be a good chance I will be buying a 9.9 or 15 hp Evinrude new or last years model. Big Evinrude on boat now is a 1988 225hp. Want a good backup and something I can use to troll with all day without having any problems because its used.

The 7.5 HP Mercury blocks have a " comet " sticker on them.---The intake ports are smaller than the 9.8 blocks.---They look the same as the 9.8 block , but are not the same.------------------It takes more than a carburetor to get the extra ponies.

Great little motors but you need to check two things: the LU to see oil only comes out, and if it has had an impeller change in the last few years. The later is easy to fix, the other means passing it by.

Price depends on where you are: In upstate NY the fishermen will gladly pay $500 for one. In other places $300 (if it's right) would be all one could get for it.

Jeff

PS: The Tell Tale (proper name for it) plugs up regular on these motors, so if no water comes out don't sweat it.

Back