Logo

1967 Mercury 500 - Lower Unit Seals Replacement

Following up on this thread: https://www.marineengine.com/boat-forum/threads/1967-mercury-500-50hp-no-spark.477555/ where I was sucessful in getting spark and the engine running.

I have now remove my lower unit and have pressure tested it and I can hear the the air escaping so 7-8 years of sitting in dry warehouse has taken its toll on the oil seals. Therefore my next step is to replace the upper and lower seals.

I read somewhere that I need a special tool or tools for this...or am I mistaken?

Is this something that I am going to be able to do myself (I haven't been able to find a good youtube video non this yet)? or should I attempt to find a local classic Mercury expert?

All input on this next endeavor would be appreciated.

Jeff

You remove the waterpump base (drain LU and remove the FLUSH plug) then pull out seal. Later models had a threaded hole located next to forward stud install a 10-24 screw turning until base is forced away from housing.

You remove the waterpump base (drain LU and remove the FLUSH plug) then pull out seal. Later models had a threaded hole located next to forward stud install a 10-24 screw turning until base is forced away from housing.
Perfect timing! Was attempting to remove that base. This afternoon and it wouldn’t budge. I’ll try your suggestions when I’m back in the shop next week.

Thank you.

Back