Logo

1966 mercury 110hp electronics

iamudcat

I have a 1966 mercury 110hp and was wondering if they make after market electronics because i cant afford oem prices please help

Before you spend any coins on this motor do a complete evaluation.----Compression test, post the values here.----Look at water pump impeller.----Pressure test gearcase.---Remove intake bypass covers and inspect pistons / rings.----A " new " to you motor ?

Before you spend any coins on this motor do a complete evaluation.----Compression test, post the values here.----Look at water pump impeller.----Pressure test gearcase.---Remove intake bypass covers and inspect pistons / rings.----A " new " to you motor ?
yes its new to me and it has about 120 compression in all 6 cylinders i only payed $120 for the boat -motor -trailer its a 62 lone star in great shape with a mid 70s shore lander trailer and the 1966 mercury 1100 motor and i was wondering if they might make like a china made knock off or something that does not cost so much or is there some place i could maybe get used ones i know used electronics isnt the smartest thing but i need to try im sure it will run just need to figure it out

They made 2 types of 1100 motors in 1966 - one with 2 auto coils and one with a switchbox and one large coil, you should determine which one you have to carry on. Don't remove the dist cap without taking the side terminal out first. The auto coils are available.

They made 2 types of 1100 motors in 1966 - one with 2 auto coils and one with a switchbox and one large coil, you should determine which one you have to carry on. Don't remove the dist cap without taking the side terminal out first. The auto coils are available.
It has the switch box

There is the option of fitting an older distributor.----Has 2 sets of breaker points / condenser and 2 coils 12 volt.----Very easy and cheaper to maintain.

I found the wiring diagram in my manual this should be the one for you
66-110-Tbolt.jpg

I have the point setup procedure that uses a degree wheel (gray area), the wheel says to set the points at 45* which I would guess is 3 thousands of an inch with a feeler gage.
45-degree-plate.jpg

Here's a full size copy of the timing disk - you can print it then it glue to cardboard or wood, I had an old rotor that I used for putting a pointer on; I don't know what you can use
timing-disksmall-copy.jpg

Attachments

• timing-disksmall-copy.jpg
    timing-disksmall-copy.jpg
    190.2 KB · Views: 1
Back