Logo

1965 Johnson 9.5 (MQ-11C) issues

ristoj

I have a 1965 Johnson that I picked up from someone as they stated it wasn't running right. So I have little history on it. What has happened is the following

what has been done is that the coils, points and condensers were replaced, and the carb was pulled, cleaned and a carb kit was put in (so new float, seals, etc). Friend who did this had it running without an issue in the barrel, so I took it out to the lake.

Motor started and I was able to go out on the lake with it. Issues that occurred (I will try to be as descriptive as i can) were as follows:

1) tiller handle won't stay on without being held. If you let go while starting, it goes back to off after the pull. Looking at the parts diagram for the 9522 (can't find the MQ11 and was told they were the same) is this the spring being gone (part number 9 on the diagram) that controls this? If not, what deals with this? And how do you get into there?

2) motor ran when I pushed off and I went out on the lake... after about 5 mins the motor died suddenly, with minimal warning. I did notice once or twice that the motor while running was fine, and then there was a small change in noise and vibration and then back to normal. not a big thing shake or that, but I did notice it (i would say misfire, but I'm no mechanic). After dying, I was not able to pull the cord at all when I tried. I thought, great, seized up) So out came the electric and off to the cottage I went. While driving I noticed it wouldn't go to full throttle. Probably half throttle, and then any further turning of the handle had no change in the motor speed/RPMs

Left it alone for a day and started it up fine while at the dock, i could start, stop and shift gears while tied up. So decided to go out again and see what was up. Again could not get up to full speed, and the motor died suddenly without warning, again about 5 minutes or so after leaving the dock and again couldn't get it up to full speed. No cough or sputtering.. just running along, and then .5 seconds later stopped.

It is new gas in the tank, mixed a little richer than 50 to 1, and the tank was working fine last year with the 6 HP I have. I am going to look at that this weekend to make sure the tank isn't an issue, but with 5 mins of running, it seems to get gas fine.

I am by no means a motor guy, and have been learning as I go. I am interested in suggestion of places to look to get this working properly.

Thanks for the thoughts/suggestions.

Check the gear oil first.------Was water pump impeller replaced ?-----And it sound like flywheel is rubbing on the coils.----That is what turns the throttle handle back to slow.

water impeller was not replaced and I'm not sure on gear oil.. but will check it out... will also get on the coils to see if they are rubbing

Flywheel rubbing oncoils or a screw or something came loose in there, which may have caused major damage. That could explain lack of power. Gotta go in and take a look.

EDIT: Would also explain why it suddenly locked up.

Last edited:
NOTE that at the very top of the aluminum post that the coils attach to, there is a small bevel there. The metal vertical portion of the coils must align with the inside top edge of those bevels in order to obtain the proper clearance of the flywheel magnets.

Point setting... Have the fiber rubbing portion of the points aligned with the flywheel key... then set the points to where a .020 gauge will slide thru but a .022 will not. That'll get the points set extremely close to their factory recommended setting.

took apart the lower unit today, and may have found the problem. The pin that turns the impeller is missing on the motor, so it wouldn't have been spinning with the shaft. Have ordered a new one and hope this fixes the problem.

I did take off the flywheel and noticed a very small rub from the side of one of the coils. I tried adjusting this inwards to stop the rubbing as well. Question I have on this is how does the magnets rubbing on the coils cause the the tiller handle to reset?

No sensor to turn it off should it overheat.-----This motor will keep running with an overheat condition till it destroys itself !------And post # 2 says that the coils rubbing on the flywheel will turn the handle to SLOW as you have now found out !!

i was curious as to HOW it takes the motor back to slow...i don't see the linkages between the two so I wanted to understand how this was working

I have a 64 MQ-10 Johnson 9.5hp that overheats then shuts off after maybe 5 minutes? Here's what I did so far. First thing I checked was the thermostat. Put it in a pan of water on the stove and she opens right around 145 ever time. Put the thermostat back in. Pulled the lower unit to check the water pump. Last time it was replaced was about 9 years ago. I figured that as long as I had it apart, might just as well put a new water pump kit in it. Got it all put back together and yes, new lower end lube as well. I've been running the motor in a garbage can of water. Don't want to try it on the river and get stuck, lol. Started the motor. It ran okay and then after about 5 minutes, it shuts off. Still overheating. Cools down and after about a half hour, starts right back up, runs about 5 minutes and shuts off. Overheating again. I'm at a loss on what is causing this. Is it possible that there is blockage somewhere that is preventing the water from flowing properly through the engine? How do I check that. I do have the shop manuals.

Back