Logo

1965 Evinrude 18 (18502) dies after start

Bombig

I recently got the above engine from a friend who used it and maintained it up until a few years ago.
I cleaned the carb, installed carb kit, new fuel pump, cleaned out fuel lines, new spark plugs, new tank fittings and line.
It starts and runs for a second and then begins to jolt and cough and dies a couple seconds later. Pushing the choke back it does not help at all
Seems to be getting plenty of fuel because the line and bulb stays pressurized and carb bowl is full.

Then it takes a few more pulls before it either does the same thing or floods out. What should my next move be?

Do a spark test and see if the spark jumps 1/4 to 5/16". Do test with both plugs out and with good ventilation. Put a #2 Phillips screwdriver into plug boot and have a helper hold it said distance from a good ground. Hold onto handle only and make sure your ground surface is clean has no paint on it. Could be cracked coils, but they have likely been replaced by now. Probably pitted/dirty points. Condensers rarely fail.

Do a spark test and see if the spark jumps 1/4 to 5/16". Do test with both plugs out and with good ventilation. Put a #2 Phillips screwdriver into plug boot and have a helper hold it said distance from a good ground. Hold onto handle only and make sure your ground surface is clean has no paint on it. Could be cracked coils, but they have likely been replaced by now. Probably pitted/dirty points. Condensers rarely fail.
I checked it all. has good spark, cleaned and made sure the points where clean and spaced at 0.020 and the coils tested fine with a multimeter. However, when i put it all back together it wont even start now

Back