Logo

1964 Super Seahorse 75 Help

Flea Skinner

Hello-

Newbie to the forum, thanks in advance for your patience. I am piddling around with a 1964 Johnson Super Seahorse 75 HP (V4SL-16A, magneto). I am in the process of going through the electrical system to make sure everything is there and wired appropriately. To my eye, everything looks correct. I have a question though.

Mounted on the magneto mounting bracket is a switch that rides against the breaker point housing beneath the magneto pully assembly. The switch is activated when it engages a lobe on the housing as it rotates under acceleration. I believe this is a micro safety switch. The safety switch has two spade connectors on it. A white wire from the junction box wiring harness is attached to one of the spade connectors. Nothing is attached to the other spade. Should there be something attached to the second spade? If so, where would it go?
Safety Micro Switch.jpg

I cannot find a wiring diagram that has this switch on it. I do have two service manuals for the boat, the Johnson Service Manual for 50hp through 75 hp 1958-1964, and another manual I downloaded on line. Neither manual seems to address my question.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks-

NO, nothing attaches to the second tab. OMC saw fit to use a stock off-the-shelf switch with two tabs, though only one is needed.

The switch has an internal ground.----If the switch does not work it is easy to take apart for cleaning.---Yes it is.----The switch prevents the starter from cranking if throttle is open too much.

Back