Logo

1964 Mercury 110 HELP FROM THE EXPERTS

So it stalls when you OPEN the choke ????----Look carefully at your motor and use correct wording.----That will help you.-----I think the issue might be with crankcase compression.----That includes reed valves, upper and lower crankshaft seals and reed block labyrinth seal.

So it stalls when you OPEN the choke ????----Look carefully at your motor and use correct wording.----That will help you.-----I think the issue might be with crankcase compression.----That includes reed valves, upper and lower crankshaft seals and reed block labyrinth seal.
CHOKE OPEN... runs fine

CHOKE CLOSED (big hole in carb is covered by flap) .... does not want to idle for long...

That's the way it's supposed to run that's why it's called a "choke", you have to set the low speed in forward gear under way in lake just running above idle. Choke open all the way.

That's the way it's supposed to run that's why it's called a "choke", you have to set the low speed in forward gear under way in lake just running above idle. Choke open all the way.
thanks, thats what I was thinking, low speed is just a little off! I think I need to turn the air screw in? let in less air, make the mixture more rich? Sound right?

Ok, I see now I had the choke ON/OFF terminology switched hahah

I took the boat to the lake today and this little 110 really pushes me around. I had a lot of fun but I still haven't figured out the low speed screw setting. The motor only wants to start with a little more throttle than the neutral position allows me to get so I was had to pull start it in gear to get going. Not my ideal set up. Runs like a top with any amount of throttle, but after I decelerate to idle or shift into neutral it bogs and dies. The fine adjustment screw is giving me a small headache for sure

Ok, perhaps final update here

I got in there and looked closely and the carb gasket had slipped off one of the bolts on installation into that tiny space. Total rookie move on my part. Got that fixed and it is idling at the correct screw setting. I appreciate all of the guidance and help from all of you through this process and I sured learned a lot about these old motors and how to work on them

Back