Logo

1964 18hp fastwin no water ejection if not in gear

valvebounce

Regular Contributor
I have just replaced the impeller,in neutral there is no water being ejected.In gear there is not a lot.

The net water screen inlet filter was blocked,so I removed it and haven't replaced it.

I've just replaced the coils and the motor runs well.

Any ideas?

You need to revisit water pump work.---------Motor should blow water out of exhaust right after start up.---------Should blow lots of water out in nuetral as well.----------Is water tube in place in the exhaust housing and in the pump ?

You're aware of where the water pump is sitting obviously. It is not a self priming pump, and as such the water level at startup must be above the water pump location.

Bottom line is that the water level should be approximately 3" above the joint where the lower unit bolts onto the long exhaust housing. Was it?

You need to revisit water pump work.---------Motor should blow water out of exhaust right after start up.---------Should blow lots of water out in nuetral as well.----------Is water tube in place in the exhaust housing and in the pump ?

I did have a bit of trouble locating the water tube initially,I couldn't see it properly.I got my brother to assist,sounds like we may have not made the connection like we thought
I think we will need more intense light on the subject.
Thanks for your advice R

The water was just above the cavity plate Joe,which is a lot lower than the joint.So,out of interest,where does the water get in to prime it?
V

The water tube must be installed into the exhaust housing grommet first.------------Very difficult to assemble this if you put the tube into the water pump first.-------And as stated the water must be about 6" above the pump for good cooling in a test bucket.

The water was just above the cavity plate Joe,which is a lot lower than the joint.So,out of interest,where does the water get in to prime it? V

The pump at first must be submerged.

The actual water intakes that come into action, once primed, are via a small plate just above the cavitation plate and a screen in that hang down section just above the propeller.

When underway, usually, the cavitation plate is just about at the water level with that small intake plate actually out of the water... BUT... by that time the water is hitting that angled screen just above the propeller with such force that the pump is being force fed with water.

Last edited:
I suspect,from what you have said R,that the tube is connected because there is a small amount of water when the motor is in gear.
It sounds like depth of water in the tank is not enough to prime the pump.Before I take it apart,I will increase the depth and see if that's it.

Thanks for your advice V

The pump at first must be submerged.

The actual water intakes that come into action, once primed, are via a small plate just above the cavitation plate and a screen in that hang down section just above the propeller.

When underway, usually, the cavitation plate is just about at the water level with that small intake plate actually out of the water... BUT... by that time the water is hitting that angled screen just above the propeller with such force that the pump is being force fed with water.

I understand what you mean Joe,From what I read somewhere I mistakenly thought that plate was to assist the water intake when in reverse.
I can see the point in it being the method of initially priming the system.
Thanks for you interest V

Back