Logo

1963 Johnson 75 horse-fuel problem

Trailryder927

Hey everyone. I am new to this site as well as boating so please forgive my ignorance on all of this.

I bought a 17 foot renken boat. It has a 1963 75 horse Johnson electramatic. We had the boat running pretty well, but when it came to show time it wouldn't stay running. I do have spark. It will also run under ether. And I pulled the hose going to the back of the two carbs and I had fuel up to that point. But, I pull the plugs and none of them are wet, or smell like fuel or anything. I don't know if it's not getting constant pressure? The fuel line going to the carbs is attached to a pump of sorts. It's a fuel in, fuel out deal with a glass bowl and filter. I cleaned that. It also has another hose that I'm going to assume is vacuum. That operates a little diaphragm / pump thing. There are two long adjustment screws in front of the carbs. I tried tweaking those as well. So from what I can tell I'm not getting fuel from the carbs, to the cylinders. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

It is NOT " a pump of sorts ". It is indeed a simple fuel pump operated by crankcase pulses. -------So post your compression test results on the motor.--------It sound like you may have to clean the carburetor.------------Remove the high speed jets found behind the 2 plugs on the float bowl and see what they look like.

Back