Logo

1963 Evinrude 5.5 run in garbage can.

ramblinmanjim

I just rebuilt the lower unit of my 1963 5.5 Evinrude with all the parts I could find. Replaced prop seal and driveshaft seal. Had to cut them out with a carbide burr dremel tool. Upon restarting, can I start this up in a can without the prop. That is the main question. Can I run this in a garbage can without the prop. I know this is a stupid Question but I am new to this. I got a shower before. Just trying to stay dry.

Last edited:
You can but do not rev it up very far without a load on the prop. Do not try and adjust it without a load on the prop. Set the point gap at exactly .020 and the plugs at .030. Running it at higher rpms without it in forward gear and in water will cause it to run real lean and you can damage bearings, pistons rings and cylinder walls. In other words the answer to your question is why, if it sloshed all the water out of the barrel just get it out on the water and give it a whirl. Pulling the prop will tell you absolutely nothing. Adjust the carb on the water in forward gear after the engine is fully warmed up.

Running without a prop (or even with a prop on, on a 5.5) will allow you to run it at high RPM under a no-load condition. Even at wide open throttle. Doing that does two things. 1. It can destroy the powerhead as it flies apart from extreme centrifugal or reciprocating forces. 2. It demonstrates the ignorance or stupidity of the person doing it. Ignorance can be cured by education. You are reading this, and therefor are now educated. There is no cure for stupid.

Back