Logo

1962 Evinrude Starflite V4 Questions.

1960Dorsett

Hi everyone, I'm new to this forum, and was hoping someone here might be able to answer a few questions I have regarding a 1962 Evinrude Starflite V4 I recently purchased. The model # is 50931, which is the 20" drive shaft motor. The reason I bought it is my 1960 Dorsett El Rey runabout has the same motor, only with the 15" driveshaft,(model#50930). I am converting the new motor to the short shaft version as I don't want to modify the transom of the boat. So far, I've purchased the 15" drive shaft, all the gaskets, seals, and some of the needle bearings to redo the L/U. Lower unit is resealed, and ready to go back on, the 5" spacer casting has been removed, and the copper water tubes have been shortened 5" each. My first question is, is there anything I'm missing before I button it back up? Second question, what color paint is used on this year model motor? It looks to be a dark metallic gray, and I would like to get some paint to touch up the scuffs, and scratches.

All answers, and any questions you might have will be appreciated,
Thanks, Mike.

Welcome to the forum. Another option is to bring the cowling to your favorite auto body supply store and they can photograph the color after they give it a light buffing, and mix you the paint of your type in the quantity you will need, right on the spot. I do it all the time here and have glamorous results using acrylic enamel. Do you have a paint spray gun? If not, they can put it in a "rattle can" for you.

Thanks for the responses regarding the paint guys, I've emailed (nymarine), and am waiting for a response to see if they can supply me with an aerosol can of paint in the correct color at what price. If that dosen't pan out I'll try locating an auto body supply near me to see what they can do for me.

Back