Logo

1962 Evinrude Sportwin 10hp

Kever

Trying to get this motor running. New gas lines, took carb apart and cleaned, new gas/oil in gas tank, new gas tank line, new spark plugs. Seems to have very weak spark. Can’t get it to start. Any thoughts.

Very common. New coils needed and make sure copper core wires and twist them into the coils for good job. Great motor. I have one...1962 also....very strong for a ten horse. Compression test is very important as aforementioned. Should observe around 85 psi in 5 to 6 nice brisk pulls with both plugs out.

Last edited:
Very common. New coils needed and make sure copper core wires and twist them into the coils for good job. Great motor. I have one...1962 also....very strong for a ten horse. Compression test is very important as aforementioned. Should observe around 85 psi in 5 to 6 nice brisk pulls with both plugs out.

I have 80 PSI each cylinder with 5 brisk pulls. Both plugs out

80 psi each cylinder

Sounds good to me. My '64 Evinrude 9.5 hp Sportwin had compression in the 70s if I recall right. Got it running just fine after putting new coils, points and condensers in it - and addressing the carburetion issues.

Back