Logo

1961 Evinrude Starflite III - Wiring Questions

rcornish

Okay, so I bought a boat not long ago that has a 1961 Starflite III engine on it. The eninge is free and such, but previous owner could not get any spark. I figured it was bad plugs or points were out or something like that, but while working on other things, a look found some problems with the wiring.

I found two wires that are not connected back around the coil. Wondering if anyone has a picture of that area so I can see where they should connect. There is white wire that is connected to the coil that looks like goes to the battery eventually. There is a black wire coming down for the distributor that looks like it should connect to the other side of the coil. However, that is a brownish (maybe faded red) wire that also seems it should connect there, as there really is nothing else for it to connect to in range of its length. I am not sure what it goes too, but it looks like it goes into the engine itself on the other end.

Stay tuned, as once I get those right, I will be moving on to the electric junction box (which looks to be a mess) and then the switches and such at the console, which have all been jury rigged at least twice and almost impossible to make sense of its current state. I do have the electric junction box and controllers though, I which I understand is most important with this engine.

PS - if anyone has a partial and especially complete diagram on this that would also be greatly helpful and appreciated.

Post on -----------aomci ---------------lots of help there including folks that have time to post a wiring diagram.-------Post model # as that ALWAYS helps.

Okay, so I bought a boat not long ago that has a 1961 Starflite III engine on it. The eninge is free and such, but previous owner could not get any spark. I figured it was bad plugs or points were out or something like that, but while working on other things, a look found some problems with the wiring.

I found two wires that are not connected back around the coil. Wondering if anyone has a picture of that area so I can see where they should connect. There is white wire that is connected to the coil that looks like goes to the battery eventually. There is a black wire coming down for the distributor that looks like it should connect to the other side of the coil. However, that is a brownish (maybe faded red) wire that also seems it should connect there, as there really is nothing else for it to connect to in range of its length. I am not sure what it goes too, but it looks like it goes into the engine itself on the other end.

Stay tuned, as once I get those right, I will be moving on to the electric junction box (which looks to be a mess) and then the switches and such at the console, which have all been jury rigged at least twice and almost impossible to make sense of its current state. I do have the electric junction box and controllers though, I which I understand is most important with this engine.

PS - if anyone has a partial and especially complete diagram on this that would also be greatly helpful and appreciated.

I will get a picture for you.

Here is a link to a breakdown of this outboard: https://www.marineengine.com/parts/johnson-evinrude-parts.php?year=1961&hp=75&model=50524

Junction box:
ITEM_2517-JUNCTION-BOX-AND-SWITCH-PLATE-GROUP.gif

Back