Logo

1960's alumacraft alpex sea aria

jfitz1186

Hi Im a bit of a boat newb. But today I picked up a 1960's Alumacraft Alpex Sea Aria for free. The boat doesn't have any seats. Most of te interior trim is there. But I'm not quite sure what I have. It has a Volvo penta 4cyl gas engine with a Chrysler Outdrive. Seems to me all the steering gear and throttle linkages work. Also not sure if it runs and if I did how can I run it on the trailer? Is this boat worth restoring or making lake worthy. If so I am looking for tips and suggestions on what I have and what to do with it. Right now my heads telling you fool your wasting your time but my heart is telling me I have a rare classic boat that might be worth my time. So again any suggestions will help.

Welcome to boating, and welcome to this forum!

I don't know a thing bout that boat, so let's start with that. Here are the big things you should check before making the decision on whether to try to restore or not...

1. Is the transom and hull solid? Try to get someone who knows what they are doing to check it out for you. Hulls and transoms can be repaired, but it needs to be done very carefully with a lot of expert advice.

2. Can you get the engine running. The old Volvo Penta is a good engine, and if it has been properly maintained and cared for, will run forever. Parts are typically expensive, but used parts are often available online, especially on eBay. Try to fine the service manual for that engine and read it thoroughly.

3. The Chrysler outdrive is problematic. I'm not sure when they stopped making them, but it was a long time ago. If all else is working, you may want to consider replacing that with a newer outdrive. The Volvo outdrives are very good, but again they are expensive.

4. To test the engine, be aware that there are two types of cooling systems. The best ones have an internal coolant that is pumped through a heat exchanger and works similar to a standard auto motor and it should have antifreeze in it. Raw water is drawn in from the outdrive into the heat exchanger and expelled through the exhaust manifolds back out to the bottom of the outdrive. If you have this type of system, you will see a tank (the heat exchanger) with four hoses attached to it - one set is the in and out for the motor coolant. The other set is the in and out for the raw water. Each of the cooling systems has it's own water pump.

The other type of cooling system uses raw water to cool the entire engine. There will be a large pump that draws water up from the bottom of the outdrive, force it through the engine, and out the exhaust tubes back down through the outdrive. These type cooling systems make the entire innards of the engine and the manifolds prone to corrosion.

In either case, purchase a set of outboard muffs that connect to a garden hose and fit over the water intakes at the bottom of the outdrive. Turn on the hose, make sure water is circulating and coming out the bottom of the outdrive around the prop. Make sure water is not leaking from the manifolds. Then after checking the oil, and with fresh fuel, and engine out of gear, attempt to start the engine. If you can get it running, you are halfway home.

Two final thoughts: " The only thing that works on an old boat is its owner" and "A boat is a hole in the water that you throw money into."

Back