Logo

1960 Johnson 18hp won’t steer (tiller controlled)

Darren1984

Folks-
When I got the motor I tried taking it apart to paint. Bolts are so rusty I could t get the block out so I left lower unit, gearcase and all attached. While cleaning the power head I used a degreaser and water a couple of times and noticed that it was getting tougher and tougher to steer after all of the degreaser was washed off. I’m thinking some of it penetrated into the steering shaft area and screwed around with whatever grease was in there. Haven’t tried greasing it back up yet but I was wondering if I should try spraying wd40 in the grease points and maybe at the top of the steering shaft to see if I can penetrate and lube up the area.

Right now, if I want it to turn at all, I’ve gotta hit the mounting bracket with a rubber mallet and it moves millimeter by millimeter. It’s basically seized up.

Anyone experienced this? Have any tricks to share? Is the wd40 a bad idea?

There is only one cure. You mist dis-assemble the steering shaft and clean the corrosion out & relubricate. No mouse milk will do that for you. A common problem around here (salt water)

Mouse milk? Is that a nickname for wd40? That’s hillarious. Good lord I was really hoping I wasn’t going to have to take this thing apart. I can do the topside of the engine but everything south of there scares me a little. I’ll check the diagram on here and hopefully it isn’t too complex. Thanks for your input.

Also if anyone else reads this and does have some kind of hack for loss ending this thing up…. Please speak up!!!! 😃 thanks everyone!

Easy job for a shop with proper equipment. Can be a real PITA otherwise. Basic idea is clamp motor to something heavy (like a boat), then remove the lower mount clamshells and use a hoist to lift the whole motor & steering bracket from the swivel bracket. No hoist? Two guys with arms like a gorilla.

Easy job for a shop with proper equipment. Can be a real PITA otherwise. Basic idea is clamp motor to something heavy (like a boat), then remove the lower mount clamshells and use a hoist to lift the whole motor & steering bracket from the swivel bracket. No hoist? Two guys with arms like a gorilla.
Tried pulling the clamshells….. screws are stripped. No go.

If I can’t get inside, that way, looks like the only way in is through the “non-zero fitting” on the steering tube. I did spray a tiny bit of wd40 in there but only a tiny bit went in before it started backing out. I’ve gotta get this freed up or I’ve wasted a ton of time getting this thing running, cleaned up, almost entirely painted and all.

Figured freeing up the steering wouldn’t be this difficult so I put it off. Any thoughts?

I cannot make a hands-on diagnosis on your motor, but I can tell you what I've seen many times. Refer to the attached picture for a lesson in anatomy.

Corrosion builds up around the outside of #76 Liner. That puts a squeeze on #71 making it hard to steer. The liner is pinned by #75 pin, so the liner does nor rotate as you steer. Lubricating the Zerk only reaches the inside of the liner, not the outside where the corrosion is. There is no way in hades you are going to get to the corrosion without taking it apart and scrape it out. And no, WD-mouse milk won't dissolve it either.

Swivel bracket.png

Tried pulling the clamshells….. screws are stripped. No go.

If I can’t get inside, that way, looks like the only way in is through the “non-zero fitting” on the steering tube. I did spray a tiny bit of wd40 in there but only a tiny bit went in before it started backing out. I’ve gotta get this freed up or I’ve wasted a ton of time getting this thing running, cleaned up, almost entirely painted and all.

Figured freeing up the steering wouldn’t be this difficult so I put it off. Any thoughts
I cannot make a hands-on diagnosis on your motor, but I can tell you what I've seen many times. Refer to the attached picture for a lesson in anatomy.

Corrosion builds up around the outside of #76 Liner. That puts a squeeze on #71 making it hard to steer. The liner is pinned by #75 pin, so the liner does nor rotate as you steer. Lubricating the Zerk only reaches the inside of the liner, not the outside where the corrosion is. There is no way in hades you are going to get to the corrosion without taking it apart and scrape it out. And no, WD-mouse milk won't dissolve it either.

View attachment 30886
thanks man. I really appreciate your input. I was a little scared of not knowing how the steering tube functioned so taking it apart was a little nerve wracking for me. If I can find a way to break the screws loose that hood the clamshells, I’ll put your anatomy lesson to good use.

Thanks again!

Have to agree.-----Corrosion ( that white powder ) builds up.------It is a direct result of oxygen joining with the aluminum.-----Aluminum oxide is that white powder .----So after 60 years there is more material in there ( oxygen ) and everything jams up.----Get good used clamshells off e-bay or at----aomci----.----Only way is to scrape the powder out.----Time to get busy.

Have to agree.-----Corrosion ( that white powder ) builds up.------It is a direct result of oxygen joining with the aluminum.-----Aluminum oxide is that white powder .----So after 60 years there is more material in there ( oxygen ) and everything jams up.----Get good used clamshells off e-bay or at----aomci----.----Only way is to scrape the powder out.----Time to get busy.
I e got great clamshells but the screws are stripped out. They are flathead screws 3 out of 4 of them are damaged slightly. I hit them with penetrating spray and am going to keep doing it for the next few days asiwait for some paint to cure up. I’m gonna try again after that. Waiting on a new transom clamp (and hardware) to arrive from eBay.

I also notice something fishy….

Previous owner seemed to have drilled holes in the top of the steering tube and sealed them up. Might try pulling out the sealer (caulk) and seeing what’s going on there. Wouldn’t be surprised if he ran into same issue and just wd40ed it for the sale.

Back