Logo

1960 Evinrude 75 HP engine

Jnicholes

Hello!

I havent been on the forum for awhile. I have been too busy working on my boats motor. My motor is still not working. I have replaced the coil, I replaced bad wires, and I am STILL not getting spark to the spark plugs. I also think that no electricity is getting to the coil or rotor. It turns over fine, but no spark. I do NOT want to buy a new motor due to a financial situation, and I really want to fix this one.

I have been doing research and I was wondering, Would a bad condenser cause this kind of problem? If not, is there any idea on what I should check next? Can anyone still help me?

Thanks!

Jared.

You have 2 posts on same subject. Sorry my bad!!Your not the same guy but you have same motor

Last edited:
Hello!

I have NO idea when the last tune up was. I bought the boat off craigslist and the former owner did not tell me when the last tune up was.

Jared.

Yes, a bad condenser would. Replace with a new one and see what you have. They rarely go bad but you never know.

The 1960 75hp Evinrude should have a magneto ignition system... spark plug wire lead out from the bottom of the unit. Is this what you have?

Hello!

That is exactly what I have, a magneto ignition. Is there a way of testing the condenser and the points with a multimeter? If so, how do you do it?

Thanks!

Jared

That is exactly what I have, a magneto ignition. Is there a way of testing the condenser and the points with a multimeter? If so, how do you do it? Thanks! Jared

I assume you know how to time the engine, and if so, remove the belt from the magneto pulley so that you can spin the pulley by hand... better yet that you remove the magneto from the engine so that you can easily remove the distributor cap.

Also, if you haven't installed new points and a condenser, do so now.

You can test the opening and closing of the points with a ohm meter, and continuity of the coil, that sort of thing, but that's about it. Checking the quality and performance of the condensers and the coil would require the proper test equipment.

You can set the points on the high lobe, seeing that a .020 gauge will go through but a .022 will not, after which you can fine tune the opening of the points using a ohm meter and the timing marks on the magneto pulley and bracket. It should show you that in your service manual. Clean the points with either Lacquer Thinner or Acetone.

With the points cleaned and set properly, remove the distributor cap to access the coil. Attach a spark tester with a spark gap set to 1/4" to the output tab of the coil and have the tester ground attached anywhere to the magneto casing. Spin the pulley in the proper direction... there should be a strong blue lightning like flame jumping that gap... a real SNAP!

The distributor cap should have a small spring and a carbon brush in the center portion of its division spark to cylinder area. The carbon brush seats upon the rotor.... NOTE that the magneto rotor has a weird hook looking business end does not interchange with the somewhat look alike rotor that is for the automotive type ignition which has a normal straight looking squared off business end. Make sure you have the correct rotor.

Now, assuming that the distributor cap has the brush and spring, the proper rotor, new points set properly and cleaned, and s new condenser installed... and you have spark when the tester is attached directly to the coil BUT no spark with the distributor cap attached... the cause is normally that the rotor is shorting out to the steel shaft upon which it sits, in which case, replace the rotor.

I'm aware that you will probably try the above using your old points and condenser and that's okay. I would no doubt go that route first myself, however, the information above may be of use to you.

Let us know what you find.

Hello!

Wow, you REALLY know your stuff! I dont know much about boats, this is my first one, and I am only 19. I REALLY appreciate this info you gave me. You are SPOT on with the Distributor cap, as well as the rotor and the coil. I DO know how to set the timing, a friend taught me how. I will try this as soon as I get a spark tester. I have an Ohm tester. I will try this out!

Thanks SO MUCH! I will let you know what I find!

Jared.

Back