Logo

1960 Evinrude 40 HP flywheel replacement

chopped72

I have a 1960 Evinrude Lark 40 HP (35521) with a bad coil. I've been in a fight to the death with the flywheel for 3 days now (so far, the flywheel is winning). I've been looking around for replacement flywheels (in case things get real ugly) and haven't found any with the matching PN (580334) It seems Evinrude used this PN for yrs 1960 & 1961. From 1963 - 1970 they used PN 580410. The only difference I see is that the '60 & '61's had the removable points inspection plate. The older yrs don't. So, does anyone know if a later model flywheel will work on a 1960?

Thanks

Thanks for the quick replies. Yes, I did get the description backwards. Good to know I can use a NEWER model flywheel. A little back-story on the project. Had the motor running earlier this year, then she was only running on 1 cylinder. Pulled the flywheel and found a chaffed wire and a loose connection. Fixed that and then re-installed the flywheel - and torqued to spec. Put boat back in water, but still only one 1 cylinder. Now I'm trying to re-pull the flywheel. Using a puller and grade 8 bolts, strap wrench around the ring gear, I've been nuttin' on that thing for 3 days. I've tried light heat, penetrating oil, acetone/ATF mix, light tapping, hard banging...nothing. I may have buggered the woodruff key or something. I'm at a loss. In fact, I pulled so hard that the puller center point mushroomed/damaged the crank shaft threads. I know, this is a major issue, and if I don't have enough threads left after surgery then I may be replacing the crank shaft. These, however, are available from this site for my model yr. If I get real desperate I'll saw-zall most of the FW off, remove anything that will burn, get a bearing puller, and put the oxy/acetylene to the steel conical portion stuck to the crank shaft. Hence the need for a replacement flywheel.

Wrong!! 1960 and 1961 flywheels have a smaller hub than 1962-up. Assuming, of course you have the original powerhead on your motor. A few got replaced because of broken crankshafts (the reason for making them larger starting with 1962)

Agreed the newer flywheels have a bigger hub !!----The proper puller and the proper technique and flywheels will come off with no damage.

Whoa - so the new consensus here is that I cannot use a newer model flywheel, because the center hub will not fit the crankshaft, right? O.K. - so I'll just put the saw-zall down and step away from the motor. I've had the flywheel off this motor twice, with no issue. Don't know why its so stuck this time.

newer flywheel had the big hub and will not fit !----They broke a number of crankshafts and then upgraded to a beefier crankshaft in the later models.--------Now a complete powerhead from a newer version up to 1970 is the way to go and bolts on.

Back