Logo

1960 75hp vs 1992 88hp

ralphw

"I have a dilemma. I have a fu

"I have a dilemma. I have a fully restored 1961 Grady White with the original 1960 starflite motor. the motor has been well taken care of and I replaced many parts lower unit seal bearing ..all rubber hoses belt etc. The motor runs very nice, looks great. but it is 46 yrears old and I will have my kids and their friends on the boat in the long island sound. plus I hate to put it in salt.

I have the opportunity to buy an 88hp 1992 Johnson,
this motor has been stored for 3 years... dealer says was used maybe 20 hours a season , he thinks around 100 hours.

I'm torn.... the oldie looks right on the boat but 46 years vs 14 years?

any pros and cons on this 88hp?"

You have three choises:
1 Rui

You have three choises:
1 Ruin the Grady by putting on the 88.
2 Ruin the Starflite by keeping it on.
3 'Ruin' the kids by giving them a boat they may not be able to treat with deserved respect.

Suggestion:
Let the kids and their friends by their own toy!

"A fully restored 61', I s

"A fully restored 61', I supposed it was restored to original included steeringsystem and what goes with. Sad to make a 'bastard' (excuse me) of such a museum piece, but I may be to sensitive. Just note that 'rated 115' in 1961 is quite a difference than 2007!"

"I'm sensitive too, thats

"I'm sensitive too, thats my problem. but that said.... it is my only boat and I do want to use it safely. I was told the cable system will work just fine."

"Ralph,
I really didn't w

"Ralph,
I really didn't want to chime in on this one but when you implied that you were going to use the old cable steering I just had too.

That old cable system may have been ok in it's day only because there was nothing better at the time. I understand you wanting to keep the boat as close to new as you can but the cable steering really should be canned even if it seems fine.
This was not a safe steering system. I know, it's worked for years with no problem.
That does not make it safe.
There are just to many things that can go wrong. All it takes is a screw to pull loose or the engine to kick just right and have the cable jump the steering wheel hub.
It doesn't matter what engine you use the steering should be updated in my opinion. I've seen to many accidents over the years because of this steering system.
Just me but I would never put any of my kids in a boat that had that old type cable steering.
If you do use the newer motor you can install a single cable steering system without doing any damage to the boat.
The cable mounts through the transum mount on the engine.
No holes to make or anything like that so if you ever did want to put the old steering system back in you would never know that a newer single cable system had ever been there.
Again I understand the whole idea of keeping the 61 engine for the looks but when the kids get tired of the boat and grow out of it(and they will) you will still have that perfect 61 to hang back on the boat and enjoy cruising around in style.
The new motor may not look as neat on the boat as the old 61 but on the other hand you do not find a nice 61 75hp everyday. An 88 model is no big deal if it gets beat to death pulling a bunch of kids around. You can always replace an 88 model without much problem.
If this boat is that nice I'd just park it and find another one. Boats are cheap if just look around a little. You could almost find a whole package for what you are going to give for the 88 model.
If the kids are anything like mine it won't matter what it is as long as it runs. Melted ice cream drinks chips and what ever else kids have in a boat do not sound like the things you want in the seats of a nice restored boat anyway.
Best of luck and how about a picture of this boat. I sure would like to see it."

"Very very nice Ralph,
It kin

"Very very nice Ralph,
It kind of looks like an old Thompson I use to have. Great boats but for me it was just to much work keeping it looking like the one you have.
Of course mine didn't have that optional 75 on it. Just the old 40 horse.
That sure is a nice boat. Are the kids allowed to take the hersey bars on board for the long hot days?
Take care and have fun with it."

Too much a beauty for a 'k

Too much a beauty for a 'kids' boat! You should keep it in a 'safety box' when not in use!

My vote is to keep the old 75

My vote is to keep the old 75 on her. They look like they were meant to be together. That is a beautiful restoration and a newer motor won't look right on the back.

"Very Nice--somebody did a lot

"Very Nice--somebody did a lot of work on this beauty--vintage boats are like vintage trucks--no body gets near them--and I mean NOBODY, especially blood relatives---just my two cents"

Ralph Keep those two together.

Ralph Keep those two together. It would be sacrilege to separate them. If you flush that engine good in fresh water after salt water use it will last a long time.
I looked at your entire project and I must say you are one talented and patient person. That is one beauty of a Boat. I thank you for sharing that with me. Kudos to you for restoring life to a once beautiful craft and showing the beauty that will remain for a long time to come.

Wow! Great boat!
Never mind t

Wow! Great boat!
Never mind the engine
I doubt that I could even bring myself to put that nice of a boat into salt water.
Good job. How long did it take you to restore it?
Any before pictures?

Back