Logo

1960 40hp johnson super sea horse

L

Larry W

"I have this johnson motor tha

"I have this johnson motor that will fire up and idle fine but when i go to throtle up it starts to miss and bog down and wont rev up it starts to die. I put a carb rebuild kit in and it still does it. It has 110 compression on each cylinder and a new head gasket, the points have been gaped at.020, and the high and low needles are set according to the book. If anybody knows why it runs like this and could help me would be great."

Yeah its level with the carb w

Yeah its level with the carb with the float assembley facing up towards the sky (upside down).

there should have been a measu

there should have been a measurement
if u have it off a little it would flood the engine or lean it out
u got timing right

Yeah the book said even with t

Yeah the book said even with the bottom edge of the carb were the bowl bolts on and the timing is set to the mark on the cam

needles " set " accord

needles " set " according to the book is to allow the motor to start. Now you have to adjust for running.This is affected by atmospheric conditions and the condition of the fuel.You did put new coils in?

"Larry.... Bogging out when th

"Larry.... Bogging out when throttle is applied can be caused by improper carburetor needle valve settings or having the throttle butterflies open too soon in relation to the timing.

The throttle butterfly should just start to open when the scribe mark on the cam that is attached to the armature base is aligned with the center of the throttle cam roller.

The carburetor must be adjusted as follows:

(Carburetor Adjustments - Two Adjustable N/Vs)
(J. Reeves)

Initial settings are: Bottom high speed = seat gently, then open 1 turn out. Top slow speed = seat gently, then open 1-1/2 turns.

Setting the high and low needle valves properly:

NOTE: For engines that DO NOT have a shift selection, obviously there is no NEUTRAL position. Simply lower the rpms to the lowest setting to obtain the low speed needle valve adjustment.

(High Speed) Start engine (it will run pretty rough), shift into forward gear, take up to full throttle. In segments of 1/8 turn, waiting for the engine to respond between turns, start turning in the bottom high speed needle valve. You'll reach a point whereas the engine will either start to die out or spit back (sounds like a mild backfire). At that point, back out the needle valve 1/4 turn. Within that 1/4 turn, you'll find the smoothest setting.

(Low Speed) Slow the engine down to where it just stays running. Shift into neutral. Again in segments of 1/8 turns, start to turn the top needle valve in. Wait a few seconds for the engine to respond. As you turn the valve in, the rpms will increase. Lower the rpms again to where the engine will just stay running. Eventually you'll hit the point where the engine wants to die out or it will spit back. Again, at that point, back out the valve 1/4 turn. Within that 1/4 turn, you'll find the smoothest slow speed setting.

When you have finished the above adjustments, you will have no reason to move them again unless the carburetor fouls/gums up from sitting, in which case you would be required to remove, clean, and rebuild the carburetor anyway.

Adjust the float as follows:

(Carburetor Float Setting)
(J. Reeves)

With the carburetor body held upside down, the float being viewed from the side, adjust the float so that the free end of the float (the end opposite the hinge pin) is ever so slightly higher (just ever so slightly off level) than the other end. And when viewed from the end, make sure it is not cocked.

With the flywheel key aligned with the fiber rubbing portion of the points, they should be set so that a .020 gauge will pass thru but a .022 will not.

The flywheel nut must absolutely be torqued to 105 foot pounds, otherwise the key will shear.

The throttle rod linkage on the port side of the armature plate, the one that had a set screw in a brass link that presses up against the vertical throttle arm....... That is adjusted as follows:

Engine not running but in gear, turn the armature plate until it hits it stop BUT DO NOT apply any further throttle. Now, loosen that set screw so that the brass link can be moved. Take the play out of the rod (pressing it forward) just to the point where the throttle cam roller would start to move. At that point slide the brass link back against the vertical throlle arm clevis and tighten that set screw.

Adjusted in that manner, the rod does not apply pressure to the throttle cam roller until the full spark advance position has been accomplished, then applying further throttle results in applying direct pressure to opening the throttle butterfly."

Im having issues with the armeture plate for the timing advance was out on water today boat running decent carbs cleaned and adjusted i checked adjustment as per your method it was fine where it was so i figured the timing advance was moving enough i messed around with the set screw or the throttle rod and i loosened the gear set on the vertical throttle arm things got bad fast i shut it off and got a tow back in how or where are the timing marks and how do i sync the timing advance with the throttle also on the right side of the carb when face the intake the rod that conects the two one rod is there but the plate on timing advance has an empty hole is the a spring or rod that should be there

Back