Logo

1959 Johnson Super Seahorse 35 hp

acbenson86

I did some searching around about this motor, but didn't seem to find this exact problem anyone else was facing. I bought this old motor with boat and trailer from a guy who said it hadn't been ran since 2010. Of course he said when she was running it was screamin, but any stranger trying to sell you something will say that. I have done some cleaning up on the motor itself (wiring and fuel lines). She turns and sometimes sounds like she wants to start, but nothing. There is spark and I am assuming it is getting plenty of fuel since I flooded it once while trying to start it (took the plugs out and they were soaked). The starter seems to crank good but can only be electrically started when we have it set to low instead of start. It is almost like there is a kill switch stopping it from starting. Any input from the experienced would be greatly appreciated.

AJB

Good spark , means a spark that will jump a gap of 1/4 or more with a snap you can hear.-------------If it does not do that then the magneto needs work.-------------Poor spark is one of the main things on a motor that is hard to start.

Back