Logo

1959 5.5 HP Fisherman gear case screws

Stevew586

Hello,

New to the forum and new to outboard motors, but mechanically inclined. I recently picked up this motor , boat and trailer. After reading many posts I decided to go through the motor (rebuild carb, replace ignition items and change impeller - which turned into replacing lower seals after seeing milky gear oil). It's actually going pretty well thanks to all of the posts and videos out there. However, I ran into an issue removing the 6 bolts of the gear casing. I was able to get 5 out using an impact driver. The last one is starting to strip the head. First question is how to get the screw out without further damage. Once out, has anyone been able to use an alternate screw?

Thanks,

Steve

Drill the head off.----Remove the skeg part.-----Then use heat and a visegrip to get that last bit out.----Guaranteed to work.-----Use the proper replacement screw.------If you could walk over I have lots of them.

Thanks for the quick response, racerone. I'll keep you posted on the outcome. Unless you are in Michigan I'm gonna have to order a new one. A couple of new screws might be in order but they sure are pricey.

Any thoughts on using anti-seize on the threads of the 6 screws for the gear casing? Or the 7 screws holding the power head, for that matter?

Nothing special on those screws.-----They are pricey because they are a -----SPARE PART-----In other words dealer needs to know what part to order that is a guaranteed fit.----Company needs an expensive warehouse and needs to identify that part.-----Then when the order comes in they have to pick that part and identify it ( package it ) and ship it to you.-----Nobody makes a lot of money providing that spare part at $8.00.-----So take one of the screws to the hardware store and match it up.-----I am on the east shore of Lake Huron a long swim to get a few freebie screws.

Yeah, I'm a little out of shape for that swim. I suspect that the screws need to be stainless steel?!?

Any thoughts on using anti-seize on the threads of the 6 screws for the gear casing? Or the 7 screws holding the power head, for that matter?

Thanks, fdrgator. I used my Ridgid impact driver and had good luck. Unfortunately the bit I was using must have been a cheapo.

Yeah, I'm a little out of shape for that swim. I suspect that the screws need to be stainless steel?!?

No need for anti-size on the gearcase skeg screws. They (almost) never seize, even in salt water. But they are tight to provide a seal at the special washer-head. Swat them back in with that impact screwdriver.

Will do. Thanks again, fdrgator.
I was able to get that pesky screw out. I started drilling the head off. When I got down so far I was going to use a chisel and break off the remaining part of the head. But as I tapped the chisel the screw started turning. I was able to get the screw to unthread completely. Whew!
Now to get my new seals ordered.
Does anyone have any luck with the Sierra spaghetti seal? I've heard that it doesn't seal as well as OEM material. But I don't want to have to buy the bulk roll in order to get OEM. On the other hand, I don't want to have to tear this motor down unnecessarily.

Back