Logo

1958 Johnson 10 HP Fuel System

426hemi

Contributing Member
Hi all,

I had a very nice 1958 Johnson 10 HP motor given to me that I understand requires either a pressurized fuel tank with Siamese hoses or it can be converted to a standard tank by installing a fuel pump from a 1960 to 63 model which I believe is Part no. 0388685. Any advice on this would be appreciated. I prefer to go with a fuel pump and standard tank if that is a viable solution. It seems that the pressurized tank might be very hard to find.

A lot depends on your local.----There are lots of used pressure tanks available .----they are very simple and reliable too.

A lot depends on your local.----There are lots of used pressure tanks available .----they are very simple and reliable too.

Thanks Racerone. I did a little more research and found out that the conversion would not be as simple as bolting on the pump. There's a good explanatory video at youtube(dot)com/watch?v=ez1MJWx3vLO on the subject that might be of interest. Hope it's okay to post that link. I'll go looking for a tank.

Link says video is not available. However, there are several ways of mounting a pump. Easiest way is get the pulse by tapping into one of the bypass covers. Hardest way is by going into the intake manifold and reed plate. But that way gets a lot of publicity.

Back