Logo

1958 35 hp evinrude stuck driveshaft

Hi. I pulled the power head off with drive shaft seized in crankshaft, I have powerhead upside down suspended buy a chain attached to driveshaft I have been soaking it with pb blaster and 50/50 acetone and tranny fluid, anything else that I can do to get it out! Thanks in advanced

I guess you don't have an air hammer that I suggested earlier. The vibration from it helps.

Bottom line truth is you may have a devil of a time getting it out. Possibly even destroy it. Depends on what equipment you have available. One way is to fabricate a clamp and slide hammer and beat it out. Vise Grips won't do, unless it is only mildly stuck.

Thanks No I do not have an air hammer but I did put a cable clamp and tried to hit it upward still no luck, I do have a compressor and have air tools , maybe I can get a air hammer where how would you use the hammer to get it out?

I have the powerhead upside down with a piece of wood going thru driveshaft , on the drive shaft I have a collar tighten above the wood, I drilled two holes and have bolts going thru the wood with nuts washers on it. I tight nuts to pull driveshaft upward, wood hits collar and should lift shaft out of crankshaft, does this sound like it should work? Thank

I have been using a guy wire collar on the drive shaft, I am tighting the bolts on the bottom of the wood but it just is not working, it just will not come off, if I use heat will it damage anything?

Ok so no-go for heat ! I will continue to soak with pb blaster and 50/50 atf acetone, Although it is an old engine it ran very good, I hate to give up on it !

OK so i took the powerhead off chain and put a 3/4 piece on black pipe on the driveshaft and I have been hitting it upward to the clamp, will this shaft ever release from the head ? What is the last resort cutting the shaft flush with the crankshaft and drilling the rest of the driveshaft out ?

I believe that you can take this motor apart now.---------Remove seal and lower bearing.---------Now you can apply heat directly to the od of the crank.---------My guess is that the spline inside the crank is rusted badly.-----Thus I would deem the crank as scrap anyway.-Your opinion / results may vary !

Ok back again , I pulled the flywheel off, can I unbolt separate the block and take crankshaft out with driveshaft attached, if so does the armature plate have to come off? how does that plate come off if it needs to come off?

Back