Logo

1957 evinrude-charging system

I don't think they offered an alternator with that model. A more intelligent tech like Joe, or Racer might know. Properly tuned up you will get 100's of starts with a good marine battery. Get yourself a little solar charger.

Last edited:
I believe there was a belt driven 10 amp generator kit available at onetime.-------Today your best option is to find a donor motor with the parts you would need.----Could be easily found depending on your location.

Thanks, Racer. He can call Tim's Outboard in Hackensack MN 218 682 2331. There is also "Outboard Recyclers" and "Twin Cities Outboard" in Minneapolis MN. The latter 2 are not my favorites, however.

If memory serves me right, the generator kit didn't hit the market until around 1961/1962. At any rate,it wasn't available for the 1957 model.

Originally the electric starter was a 6v unit... I don't remember the exact year they changed to a 12v electric starter... 1956/57/58/59? Somewhere in there.

However Kirk..... A top notch 12v battery, just for starting purposes, would last the season and then some. Now, you add a depth finder, ship to shore, AM/FM, TV, a microwave..... yeah, you might need a solar charger! :)

Now I wonder who is older......Joe or Racer? 6 volt.......? That brings me back now. Microwave....really? How you gonna get 1200 watts @ 120 volts out of a marine battery? I'm good with fishing from the bridge with a camp stove on the railing.......couple Hamm's in the cooler.

Can't speak for others , but when I looked up the parts for a 57 model.----- It shows the flywheel with the collar ready for the belt driven generator kit.----So it is very doable.----A lot of it depends on the ability / determination of Kirk the party asking the good question.

Right, Racer, the electric start motor shows the collar. I have a 57 Javelin in the shop which has that collar but no alternator. Gonna be hard to find I bet. For fun, I'm gonna check ebay. Tired from hard workout yesterday and its raining here anyway.
I see flywheels in there with collar, but no belts or alternator kits. Nice '57 Javelin but no alternator either. They were the fanciest models, but as Joe stated, these kits were either rare or now all gone.

Last edited:
DC generator kit came out in 1957. 12 Volt.. Unless you really need it, they are not worth doing. Reason I say that is cost. Besides the generator and bracket, you need a voltage regulator. Get all set up, then the 1957 model flywheel's belt drive would come loose. That problem was corrected in later years.

So what was the problem with that? Cogged belt instead of grooved? This new stuff is all grooved, perhaps more reliable.

I am saying the cogged belt "pulley" would come loose from the flywheel. Many '57s are missing that pulley and never even had a gen kit installed. It was an engineering SNAFU. The zinc pulley expanded and came loose from the aluminum flywheel. Believe me, I've tried to put them back on, with only temporary success. They just expand some more and come off again.

I tend to recall (many years back... 1960's) re-installing the improved replacement clogged flywheel pulley. It sort of registers that it came with three (3) screws of some kind that held it in place. Anyone remember that?

Okay, I see you said belt "drive", dah! I do know that zinc casts more reliably and accurately, than aluminum. But as you noticed, the expansion rates conflict, zinc has a LOWER melting point too, even though it is heavier. I have worked on these, but never noticed the problem myself. It could be that the replacements were made of an alloy that was more cooperative.

Last edited:
I tend to recall (many years back... 1960's) re-installing the improved replacement clogged flywheel pulley. It sort of registers that it came with three (3) screws of some kind that held it in place. Anyone remember that?

Yeah actually it was two screws. No matter, It didn't work. It was 20 years later that I learned the reason from my engineer/mentor. Zinc under constant tension slowly stretches. He used the term "cold flows". The lesson came at the time that said engineer designed a zinc part that cost the company a ton of money in product recalls. But to this day I still respect him as one of the smartest engineers I've ever known.

He probably embraced the accurate casting properties of zinc, but miscalculated the inevitable effects of temp, age, and stress. It also attracts corrosion, of course.

Last edited:
Back