Logo

1953 Johnson JW10 intermittent knock

sneuri

"Hello all,

Last fall, I pu

"Hello all,

Last fall, I purchased a 1953 Johnson Seahorse JW-10. I've rebuilt the carb and installed new plugs and an impeller. I've got the motor running but it began knocking badly last year just before I put it away for the winter. I've riched up the oil/fuel mixture right around 30:1 (I had tried using pro mix that can supposedly be used for any ratio) but I've gone back to a straight two-cycle mix at about 30:1. I had originally suspected a broken piston ring. But, occassionally, it'll smooth right out and run with only a little click every now and then, even up to mid-throttle (above "start"). Then without any warning it'll start knocking again. I've run about 2 tankfulls of gas through it now. When it's knocking ,it sounds like there are marbles rattling around inside."

"Doesn't sound very good.

"Doesn't sound very good. Oil mix should be 20-25:1 if memory serves.
If it has a rewind assy try removing it then check if the noise is still there.(use E-rope to start) If the noise is still there a remove the flywheel and check for loose mag plate. Other than that I'd say an internal inspection is needed before something real bad happens like a rod hanging out the side of the engine. Really, it sounds like a bearing failure, either from normal ware over the years or from incorrect oil / mix.
Hope you get lucky."

Back