Logo

1953 Evinrude Lightwin 3 HP

rjtreadwell

"I have just finished replacin

"I have just finished replacing the rings, head gasket, and complete ignition system. As well as completely clean the carburator and all else that has to with this engine. The problem is I can't get it to run. I've gotten it to fire a couple of times, but it just won't start. The manual starter pulls a little hard so I starterd using a high tork drill to spin it. That's the only way i can get it to fire. About the only thing i haven't done is check the compression. Any ideas on why it won't start and or run?"

24 to 1 gas/oil mixture???? C

24 to 1 gas/oil mixture???? Ceramic filter in gas tank allowing gas through??? Reed valves???

"According to all of the litat

"According to all of the litature i'v gotten for the engine it calls for a 16:1 gas oil mixture. Cleaned the filter, flows freely. Reed valves are intact and in place. Anything else?"

"16 to 1 is ok and it should s

"16 to 1 is ok and it should start with that mixture. That is what the factory suggested back in the day. With todays TCW3 oils, 24 to 1 is what you should be using. Either way it should start. Are you getting a strong spark...1/4 to 3/8 long???? Could the wires be crossed? The recoil should not be difficult to pull...was it that way before the new rings??? Did you check ring end gap?? Are the ignition coils rubbing against the flywheel(they are adjustable and should not rub.) The fact that it is difficult to easily pull the starter rope indicates some type of mechanical problem occured during re-assembly. These are fairly simple motors but there are several things that can go wrong during the rebuilding process."

"Thanks for the input. The spa

"Thanks for the input. The spark is very strong. Almost knocked me on my butt. Checked the wires repeatedly, not crossed. I've checked the gap on the rings. I've had it apart three times thinking I had something put together wrong. Nothing rubbing in the flywheel. Keep in mind this motor hasn't been started in over 15 years. I think I will try to increase the fuel ratio as you suggest. If that doesn't work, I'll probably take it apart again and check it all over one more time."

"Bob
Thanks for your input.

"Bob
Thanks for your input.
Over the weekend I tried to pull start the engine. Very difficult. So I took it all apart AGAIN. Everything checked out according to specs. Except for one thing. The number one piston rod was very, very tight on the crankshaft. Much more tighter than the # 2. So I lapped it down until it moved freely on the crank. Put it all back together, Increased the fuel oil ratio a little, and on the second pull it started. It starts, but I haven't gotten it to run yet. I'll keep playing with it."

Back