Logo

195152 Evinrude 75

smoothsalin

I bought a 1951-52 Evinrude 7.

I bought a 1951-52 Evinrude 7.5 o/b recently and the first day i took it out i ran it for a good 40 minutes without shutting it down and it ran fine. The 2nd time out it ran fine for a bit but seemed to be overheating and dying and when i tried to start it the pull rope was hard to pull almost like it was locking up but after a few minutes it started and ran for a couple of minutes and died again. Once again it was smoking at the top and the sides of the motor was hot to touch. I did check the water punp and it was pumping water out however it looked more like steam coming out when i was running it at a higher speed right before it died. I also noticed the fuel shut off was leaking some gas when the motor was not running (not sure if that has anything to do with the heating problem but i thought i'd mention it) does anyone have any idea's as to why i am over heating? Can being low on the fluids in the lower unit cause the motor on top to over heat? Any information is greatly appreciated...Thanks in Advance

"Any cooling probs change the

"Any cooling probs change the pump impeller if it is more than just a few years old. BUT on an oldish engine corrosion and scale blocking the water passages is a real possibility.
Should be possible to touch the engine and maintain contact for a couple of seconds. If a splash of water or saliva sizzles it is way too hot. If paint discolours or smokes its way too hot.
Worth checking the thermostat too but dont know if one is fitted to an engine that old.

While fitting the new impeller check that you can get a good water flow through the powerhead from a hose.

Sounds as though yours has really overheated. Fingers crossed that you've not done any serious damage.

Need to sort out leaking fuel as a separate issue.

Unlikely to be any connection with low oil level in gears but change/top it up. Any signs of water or milkiness means seals are leaking and require replacement.

Worth reading several of the items on the "Engine FAQs" board at http://forums.iboats.com/forumdisplay.php?f=4
including the one on "Awakening a sleeping outboard"
Site not responding at the moment though .. been slow for a few days ... very very busy of late ... people requiring lots of advice I suppose."

"Gents, in these instances one

"Gents, in these instances one must way up his options, ie: money/time to fix vs actual worth of the motor.

I mean, 1951..... thats vintage stuff"

"Thanks for all the responses

"Thanks for all the responses guys, i am not sure how to respond to each so i will respond to each here one at a time

Thanks Vic for all the information you gave me, i will work my way down through your suggestions and see if that corrects the problems. I am not sure i will get the boat in the water this weekend but i will give you a update as to if it helped...once again Thanks

Hi Bob, I was told to go 24 to 1 or if i am pushing it hard to go 32 to 1. At the time i had the problems i was running 24 to 1 which was 5.5 oz of oil to each gallon of gas. Does this sound correct to you?

Hi Callum, yes it is vintage no doubt and after months of looking and avoiding older motors i came across a fellow fisherman that had a 57 evinrude on the back of his boat that ran great so when i got home i saw an ad for 1 running evinrude and 2 parts motors for a 100 bucks, i went and looked at them and the one ran fine and it ran great the first day i had it out. I have made some bad choices here looking for deals that turn out not to be such good deals. I bought a 1980 gamefisher 7.5 for a 100 bucks and it ended up needing a magneto which is no longer available and the cost to have it rebuilt cost wayyyy more than the motor is worth and thats how i ended up buying the evinrude(obviously another mistake) I just found a 15 hp sea king for a decent price but i am sure being from montgomery wards that many parts for that are obselete too...although it is made by chrysler so who knows....trust me when i say i am not rushing into buying another motor"

"On that model, use the 24/1 m

"On that model, use the 24/1 mixture. There is no compromise.

Replace the water pump completely."

"Thanks Joe,

any idea where

"Thanks Joe,

any idea where to get a water pump for something this old? Also what do you mean by change it "complete?" Thanks"

"Complete...... Install the co

"Complete...... Install the complete kit, not simply the impeller.

However, in checking my books a moment ago, I see that the kits are only listed as starting in 1954 on the 7.5hp model. And unfortunately my books do not go back to 1951/52 so this blocks me from looking up the separate part numbers.

JWB/Morten... Anything you can ad here?"

"Hi Joe, i found a guy in Virg

"Hi Joe, i found a guy in Virgina who's book went back to 52 and he had a pump in stock for 40 bucks. When i looked up the model number 4443 it said that my motor was a 51-52 so i am guessing a 52 pump will work. Let me ask you...it pumps good while running in idle but seems to blow out steam when at high speeds....does this sound like the pumps not working properly? Thanks"

Back