Logo

1950 14hp evinrude

mixd

Contributing Member
I have tried everything i know,Pressure in the tank,spark at the plugs,strip down and clean the carburetor,and pull till my shoulder pops.There is fuel getting into the carb,but none on the plugs.The adjustments seem correct,according to an old manual,but still no fire.What can be keeping the fuel from the cylinders?

Or even worse, a crankcase halves sealing problem.
Compression test might not reveal much in this case.
Try using a spray bottle and squirt some fuel mix into the carb throat.

Stuck rings???? Crankshaft seals??? Run a 16 to 1 mixture for better sealing of the rings and reeds....what mixture are you running??? Remove the plugs and squirt some mixture in and then replace the plugs and try it again.

Thanks for your replies.The compression seems to be fine.My problem is that at times it wants to start,but it just doesnt make it.I sprayed fuel directly into the cylinders.It would sputter and stop.I will try putting it into the carb.What should the gapping be on the plugs?I have tried .020,to .024 .

Ok,i think i will hire someone to pull that cord for me!I know it wants to start.It does a couple of revs and quits.No matter if i put fuel in the carb or the cylinders,it just stay lit.What wasn that about the cylinder covers?Perhaps i am not getting any suction and therefore no fuel mixture??

Block the carb throat with your hand and SLOWLY pull the cord.
You should feel a good suction.
If not, vacuum created BELOW the pistons as they/it moves up are leaking/balanced out by the other piston moving down. Crank case compression/vacuum is to low.
Most likely cause:
Leakage in center crankshaft bearing/seal.
Remove the leaf plate, pour in some 40-5o- eng oil or better STP in upper crank case, reinstall leaf plate and carb and do another test.
If suction improves you have the answer.

It does seem as if i am not getting enough vacuum.How do i locate this crankshaft seal?I have an exploded view diagram with numbers but not the explanations.

The problem normally lies at the center bearing of the crank shaft.
I do not have the diagram of your engine, but I'm afraid that your engine may not have a separate bearing but the sealing is done by a 'labyrinth' (grooves in the upper and lower crank case) that keeps an oil-film as seal.
Hopefully Joe Reeves may drop by and confirm.
To repair however, you have to split the power head.

Back