Logo

18 Hp Evinrude

"I am somewhat of a beginner w

"I am somewhat of a beginner when it comes to restoring old outboards, having never done anything really major like rebuilding, or taking apart the whole powerhead, etc. But I want I fairly small, not to complex motor to fix up. I have a chance to buy an 18 horse 'rude. Not sure of year or serial number. But Motor does start but won't run more than mayber 5-10 seconds. The seller wants $70.00 I suspect it may be a minor fix (ie.fuel-line,etc.). but not sure, can anyone shed some light on possible problems and if it's worth it to get it/fix it up? I'll put in a pic. of it below to see if it helps. Thanks in advance! In the pic. below It's the one on the right (also there is a cover for it, just not on)
249338.jpg
"

"This is a labor of love....pr

"This is a labor of love....probably a few hundred dollars in parts and many hours of labor...its 50 years old or more...The manual is available on this site...It also requires a hard to find pressurized fuel tank...These are good motors if in good condition...do a compression test before you buy it and pull the gear oil plugs out of the lower unit to check for water....Check out these links:

http://www.duckworksmagazine.com/03/r/columns/max/11/index.htm
http://www.duckworksbbs.com/media/books/cheap/index.htm"

"Nick, $70.00 sounds about rig

"Nick, $70.00 sounds about right. I have a '59 18hp. I bought mine for cheap also. Basicly the same as you have there. I avoided the whole pressurized fuel tank thing by installing a fuel pump. My way of thinking was that i'm not going to have a bunch of money in it, so I took a chance. The fuel pump works great. I gutted the ignition, new coils, points, condencers, plug wires, kill switch wires, kill switch. Resealed gearcase, new thermostat and gasket. Keep in mind that the upper crankshaft seal maybe leaking air if you have a tuff time getting it to run smoothly. Thread inserts for spark plug holes, head gasket. Carburator kit, which I think was silly, because that carb is so simple that there's not much that can go wrong. Sinc carb to magneto carefully though, it's a bit tricky. Pay attention to the high speed and low speed jet, the combined setting of both together is tricky, but once you get them set, she'll start first or second pull, which is a good thing when pulling over such a big motor. A service manual is a must when looking for the settings for carb, coils, gearcase tolerences. It's good motor and worth putting a couple hundred bucks into. Check the compression and if thats good and even, I'd say go for it."

"This is probably a really stu

"This is probably a really stupid question, but how do I do a compression test?(By the way, thanks for the help.)"

"Well, you need to find, beg,

"Well, you need to find, beg, borrow, or steal a compression gadge. That unit goes into the spark plug holes and you pull the rope a few times. Repeat this on both cylinders. Should read about 100 lbs. give or take a few lbs. The important thing is that the readings on each cylinder be the same, or within a few pounds of each other. The easy way would be to go a mechanic and have him give it a whirl. He'll tell ya if the compression is good. Even better, do this before you bye it. Let us know how it goes."

"Before buying it pull the plu

"Before buying it pull the plugs and look in the cylinder with a small pen light. Look for damage, i.e. deep scratchs, gouges, hole in piston top, etc.

My buddy built his own compression tester using this article for a guide. http://www.motorcycleproject.com/motorcycle/text/leakdown.html

I just went out and bought one.
Made in USA:
http://www.lislecorp.com/tool_detail.cfm?detail=206

Note some of the foreign testers are very inaccurate. Always double check weird compression readings.

How I do it:
Screw the tester into the spark plug hole firmly by hand (it has an o-ring seal). Pull the rope to turn the engine over at least 4 times. Take the reading. Release the compression and take another reading. Compare them and write them down. The individual compression readings should be with 10% of each other.

Adding oil will increase the reading if the rings are leaking some.

Good Luck!!

Bill"

"i have a 1968 evinrude,elect.

"i have a 1968 evinrude,elect.start and i need sone help.what is gas/oil ratio,and where can i find a service book?thanks for any help,jjwood"

i have a 1968 evinrude with el

i have a 1968 evinrude with electric start when i sift in to forward it keeps jumping out of gear. what should i do to fix this

"First check for gear oil in t

"First check for gear oil in the lower unit. Then check the shift linkage adjustment...if this is correct, the clutch dog in the lower unit probably needs replacement...repair manuals are available on this site if you are going to do the work yourself. You also might want to start a new post...your question is buried beneath someone elses post and this creates problems"

"can any one help me with a wi

"can any one help me with a wiring diagram for a 1968,18hp evinrude with elect start.i think i could get this motor started but the last owner cut/crosed/hotwired,i would like to put it back right.any help would be greatly [email protected]"

"If you should purchase this m

"If you should purchase this motor and need a real nice OMC, Johnson or Evinrude pressure tank there is a dandy one offered on eBay currently."

"PAUL FARNSWORTH.Could you sho

"PAUL FARNSWORTH.Could you show me how you wired your 18hp.Evinrude,elet start with a fuel pump?The wiring on my motor is a mess,i need to rewire everthing.thanks.jerry wood"

"Jerry, I used a mechanical/pu

"Jerry, I used a mechanical/pulse fuel pump (minuki) hooked up through the bypass cover plate. Have to drill/tap a hole through the cover plate, plug the port that supplies the air to a pressure tank. Not super complicated, but care must be taken to get the right results.

I have a wiring diagram on pdf file from old manuals, but I cant seem to be able to email the files to you, or copy and paste to this post. Maybe someone can help me out with that, or someone can post a wiring diagram of their own. It's really not that big of a deal. There's not that many componants to wire together. Sorry, not much help.

Sorry it took so long for a reply, DSL trouble..."

"Omc did away with pressure ta

"Omc did away with pressure tanks and added fuel pumps starting in 1960. It seems like the easiest way to go would be to obtain a stock fuel pump new or used from a local dealer or better yet,to buy a 18hp "parts motor" from the sixties or early seventies. An ad in the "Boats" section of Craigs list would probably work best. The changeover can be completed in less than 10 minutes using nothing more than a screwdriver. I am attatching a wiring diagram for an 18hp electric start...hope you can use it.
250868.jpg
18hp wiring

THANKS FOR THE HELP.BOB AND PA

THANKS FOR THE HELP.BOB AND PAUL.....I COULD NOT HAVE DONE IT WITHOUT YOU TWO.NOW I CAN TAKE MY GRANDKIDS FISHING.JERRY WOOD

Back