Logo

15m bogging.

Mikey N.C.

Advanced Contributor
I've got a 2000 mercury 15 hp. Ot001953 15m, has wmc carb. with fuel pump on side . motor problem is it will run fine at shop on single muff, put in water with load , will take fuel sometimes then will not take fuel?
Compression is 120-120 , pulled carb. installed 18-5217 (can't remember)
Carb. was clean , now this carb has pulse tube at bottom, pump has the check plastic valve, between carb. body and outer cover with paper gasket then rubber diphram. The center plastic check valve portion are not serviceable with rebuild kit. Ok. Took motor on water today , she idles all day long, had idle screw 1 1/2 turns out from seat, she ran great for 2 miles, then backed down to ldle for 3-5 mins. then try to go to full throttle, and boggs down bring tiller to neutral, idles fine . I've installed the clear line from quick connect to filter an to pump on the side of carb. So no air. I had a shop tank with me , hooked it up samething. With cowling off obviously cause I was looking at clear lines for air, I could put 2 fingers over carb .
About 2-3 quick times and motor would take off full throttle and could run all day, but as soon as I came back to idle for 2-4 mins. then tried to accelerate she bogged, but as soon as I put fingers over carb. BOOM.
She took off. Ok sorry so long, I know it's not reeds, not compressions.
Is it block half seal or crankshaft seals? Or any opinions would be appreciated. THANKS.

Is the base gasket on correctly? Did you use the correct base gasket? Did you use the correct gaskets in the carb and fuel pump?

Yes base gasket has rectangular hole with the 2 small holes 1 at bottom starboard and 1 bottom 1 bottom side starboard.. And yes pump cover green paper gasket then rubber diaphragm.

Aren't there 3 small holes in the base gasket? 2 on the bottom and one for the rent pulse port? Diy it run right before you did the carb?

Last edited:
The Mercury kit does not show the green gasket for that motors carb. I do not believe that is a pulse line either. Put up a pi of the hose because that style o carb is used on many motors. And the pulse for the fuel pump comes through the body of the carb. I might be wrong a pic will help.

Last edited:
Now there's 2 wmc carb like that, this one has the plastic check valve body inbetween, with your wot stop screw and the 2 check ( plastic valve's) spring and plunger towards diaphragm.

And itty bitty pulse line at the bottom 1/16 or close, 2 pulse lines 1 from top 1 from bottom to a tee goes to bottom of carb. For pump. Reason I asked if crank case has a small leak at eithercrank seals or block halfs. Losing just enough pressure. That it will idle all day , but when u throttle up its leaning out , then I put 2 fingers in front of carb. It takes off

It looks like those lines are part of the bleed system.....see page 4-30 in the service manual.
"Bleed fitting at base of carburetor drains excess fuel which puddles at base of reed block."

Update: sorry so late with update. What I found was the 2 above water exhaust ports at rear of motor one is about 3/8 " other 1/8". Well the 3/8" hole was half stopped up ( dirt dobber).
Cleaned it out, ran great.

Back