Logo

15hp Evinrude Won't Crank HELP!

insman

Hello all, I'm MJ. I'm new here and I really need your help!
In 2019 just before covid, I bought a used fishing rig. Had a good looking 15hp Evirude on it.
At one point it wouldn't crank so I took the starter off and like magic when I put it back on, it worked.

This spring I took it to a marine repair place 45 minutes away and asked for the TLC package.
I got it back and decided to put the muffs on and try it before hitting the water.
It cranked for about 1 second and stopped. Nothing after that, not even a tick.

Today I pulled the flywheel off, terminal didn't look bad but I polished it up anyway and then put it back together. nothing.
I've looked high and low and cannot find a solenoid on this thing! I'm not a dummy but I can't find it anywhere.
I've proven 12 volts to the starter wire, the battery is good and I've tested the starter on the ground with cable and the same battery and it works perfectly.
Frustrated I put it all back together and decided to bend the starter wire in a slightly different angle, thinking it might be touching something, well, upon hooking up the battery cables, smoke started rolling out from underneath. I quickly disconnected the negative and it was freakin' hot!
Please help! Where is the solenoid. I've looked on countless schematics and don't see one. I think the neutral safety switch is good and the starter button seems to throw 12 volts to the end of the starter wire as it is supposed to.
What am I missing?

No model # posted ?----There was no solenoid on them.-----The start and neutral switch are both capable of carrying the current.

Back