Logo

15hp evinrude extension

beta79

i have an evinrude 1984 15hp standard shaft and a 1975 15hp long shaft (5 inch extension). is it possible to fit the extension to the 1984 model? the part numbers seem all different for the equivalent driveshafts etc... and the 1984 extension seems to have an exhaust seal whilst the 1975 does not. i had a look in the archives but could not find anything. any help would be much appreciated.

The parts ( extension kit ) should all be the same between a 75 model and a 1984 model.----It is an easy conversion if you use the 5" water tube extension.

The 5" longer coupler is NOT used on these 9.9 / 15 HP motors.-----You simply unscrew the lower shift rod and screw in the longer one !!-----There is a 5" water tube extension available as well.

both are Australian built models. the body extension seems different in regards to the 1975 versus 1984 schematic (eg. exhaust seal).
thankyou for respondents replies.

Last edited:
Interesting. I have several of these longer couplers in my collection....perhaps erroneously implemented on the conversions. Personally I really don't like using them unless there is no other way. They seem too bulky. Got any pictures?

The lower shift rod leans forward on an angle.----Therefor the bulky ( big $$ ) 5" shift rod extension is not used.-----Beta79----The 1975 model 5" longer parts will fit right on the 84 model.----And you are too far away for me to show you " hands on " how simple this is.

Excellent info......thanks Racer! So with that angle the 5" coupler is a no go.

Last edited:
thats good to know raceone. thankyou. i am about to drag them out of storage so havent got any pictures right at this moment timguy. a lot of tinnies now have high transoms are only suitable for long shaft (people carrying legality) , at least in here in Australia, so they are becoming more popular.

Yes the extra 4" (10cm) is a pretty nice safety margin. That has helped me many times while freighting rough waters in remote Ontario Canada.

Back