Logo

150XP electrical

Myoldrude

1988 Evinrude 150XP, E150STLCCA

Motor runs well but tach not working and voltage gauge reading 11 volts with good battery. Use to read 17 volts.

I have:
Connected grey wire (for tach) to yellow/grey stator wire at terminal strip (per Joe Reeves) and tach will work. Although it reads about 1800 rpm when motor is actually running about 775 rpm. So the Reg/Rec must be bad. I am assuming tach will read correctly when I replace Reg/Rec.

Static checked the stator per the Evinrude Service Manual and it seems to check out OK. Wondering about it though. Especially since this is the second Reg/Rec in a few years and I don't think the voltage ever read correctly even after the new REG/Rec a few years ago.

Any thoughts on why the Reg/Rec keeps going out?
Any other good ways to check stator?
I know its an old motor but would like to keep it going for a while.

Ordered a new Reg/Rec today as well as a new water pump as per "faztbullet" recommendation.

After pulling the flywheel and stator to remove the Reg/Rec I noticed a lot of "Black Goo" coming from the back of the stator and also some "amber colored hard substance" that melted, dripped and hardened on the yellow stator wires. Although the stator checks fine (static check) maybe its time to replace it. Which brand though (CDI?, JETUNIT?, OMGparts?)

Also replaced the wiring harness as it seemed to have a lot of corrosion.

As per "Rwbutler" I cleaned all battery/starter/ground connections plus a few others.

Any suggestions, especially on the stator will be appreciated.

Thankyou

Original problems:
Tach not reading
Voltage gauge reading about 11 volts with good battery

What I've done:
New Wiring Harness, New Reg/Rec, New Stator.
Cleaned all battery, starter, ground connections plus a few others

Results:
Voltage gauge seems to read correctly now (about 13volts)
Tach works but is reading about 2100rpm when engine is actually running about 775rpm.

Why:
Is Tach still not reading correctly

Thank you

Back