Logo

150 xr2 water pumping issue

I have an older 1987 Mercury Xr2 150. I recently had a shop take off a difficult prop and redo the bearings and seals and water pump impeller. I was finally able to get the lower unit back on but had a couple of issues.

It seems like there is no water pumping through the motor. I have the garden hose connected with a suction cup adapter and started the motor. I did not get any water coming out of the pee tube. I pulled off the pee tube fitting restarted the motor and still no water.

I am not sure if the shop did my impeller wrong or what the deal is. We did have the motor in some soft marsh mud for a bit but we have run it several times since to flush out the mud and even had it at the lake once for the day.

how can i determine what this issue is without taking the lower unit back off? i cant imagine the shop not doing the pump impeller right.

Could I have some blockage from the mud that clogged up after sitting a month?

Is there a closer to the motor water pump port that I can check to see if the pump is working?

do I need to take it back off and do a test on the pump?

thanks in advance

So it was pumping water okay before the lower unit work? Could it be the water tube didn't line up when you replaced the lower unit....but you would have got that right, I'm pretty sure. Maybe the pee tube is blocked at the fitting where it enters the motor block. The shop is likely not at fault, they probably do these all the time.....unless it's some shade tree operation.

So it was pumping water okay before the lower unit work? Could it be the water tube didn't line up when you replaced the lower unit....but you would have got that right, I'm pretty sure. Maybe the pee tube is blocked at the fitting where it enters the motor block. The shop is likely not at fault, they probably do these all the time.....unless it's some shade tree operation.

Yes it was pumping out fine before. if the water tube didnt line up, would I notice water coming out of the area where the lower unit bolts on? I know I had some difficulty getting the lower unit on but each time I did try the water pump tube seemed to always line up.

Last edited:
Yes it was pumping out fine before. if the water tube didnt line up, would I notice water coming out of the area where the lower unit bolts on? I know I had some difficulty getting the lower unit on but each time I did try the water pump tube seemed to always line up.
Yes you would see water the if the tube was not in correctly.

I restarted the motor to work on the water pumping issue and was able to get some water pumping activity. However it is only spurting out a small volume and not what I expected. Of course initially it didnt pump any water during the short time i ran the motor to check.

Could this be an issue with the water pump needing to be primed? Any suggestions?

Back