Logo

15 HP Mercury 4-Stroke Cylinder Head Removal

mills

Contributing Member
Got a 2006 Merc 15 HP 4-Stroke Outboard that I'm trying to save. There is water getting into the oil so I want to inspect the head gasket/cylinder head to see if that is the problem. Removed all the bolts that hold the head on but can't get it off because the oil pump is jammed against the lower cover and will not allow it to clear. If I remove the bolts holding the lower cover on will this allow me to remove the Cylinder Head??? Or can I do it by cutting out 1/2 inch of the lower cover so that it will clear and I can remove it?? Can't find a Merc manual at our library

Well I went ahead and cut out a piece of the lower cover and the cylinder head easily came off. Great engineering on the part of Mercury! The head looks pretty bad, choked with salt and white residue. I am thinking it was overheating and caused it to warp and allow the water to get into the oil?? Taking it to a Merc mechanic tomorrow to get another opinion.

Removed all the bolts that hold the head on but can't get it off because the oil pump is jammed against the lower cover and will not allow it to clear.
Ayuh,..... Normally, ya pull the powerhead off the motor, then disassemble it,.....

Yes, that is the classic book way to removed the cylinder head. Assumming that the motor is new or only used in fresh water. Salt water motors do not come apart that easy. You will certainly break bolts, destroy gaskets and other issues will occur. I was happy that my way proved easy and fast. Hopefully I helped others with the same issue.

Back